Join now - be part of our community!

SONY VAIO F23L1E and WinXP

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
Yeslifer
Visitor

SONY VAIO F23L1E and WinXP

Does this laptop support Windows XP (64)?

I need to know this before ordering, since my last laptop (Asus though) only supported Win 7.

Also, is it easy to replace the HDD with an SSD?

Any other review/topics about this model is appreciated  :slight_smile:

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Yeslifer and welcome.

Sony only offer support for a downgrade to Windows XP x86 but I am not sure how comprehensive this downgrade is and if it offers full functionality.  There appears to be no support for XP x64.

Most of the latest hardware in all Notebooks is just not supported for use with XP and drivers just don't exist.  Most people would use Windows 7 and rely on XP Emulation for programs that only work with XP.

The Configurable Models offer a SSD option but only offer Win 7 HP or Pro: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-f-series

If in doubt, phone the Sony sales line for advice.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Yeslifer and welcome.

Sony only offer support for a downgrade to Windows XP x86 but I am not sure how comprehensive this downgrade is and if it offers full functionality.  There appears to be no support for XP x64.

Most of the latest hardware in all Notebooks is just not supported for use with XP and drivers just don't exist.  Most people would use Windows 7 and rely on XP Emulation for programs that only work with XP.

The Configurable Models offer a SSD option but only offer Win 7 HP or Pro: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-f-series

If in doubt, phone the Sony sales line for advice.

:thinking:

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Yeslifer
Visitor

That is a shame, since Win 7 is a terrible OS. I don't see why a company ever would want to restrict backward compatability when dealing with Microsoft.

Oh well, thanks for the help though.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't think you will find a new performance notebook supporting XP 64-bit. 

I think manufacturers of new cutting-edge hardware will not spend time and money supporting a redundant version of Windows.  Microsoft have given an end date for 64-bit support in Windows XP.

Although support for XP x86 will continue for systems with SP3 installed all support for Windows XP 64-bit ends in April 2014 as there is no SP3 available for x64. 

It is no longer possible to buy a new PC with XP installed.

:wink: