Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Pro painfully slow WIFI

grcvaiopro
Explorer

Sony Vaio Pro painfully slow WIFI

Ive just purchased a Vaio Pro 13.  Fantastic so far in all respects with the exeption of the WIFI connection.  I currently have 60MBPS internet coming into the house as verified by my old laptop, my tablet, my mates laptop etc..  But when I connect the Vaio Pro the best it achieves is 1.5MBPS even while sat within a few feet of the BT Router.

Does anyone else have experience of this?.  Is it a technology issue or do I have to change a setting somewhere?.

I have already update the intel pro set wirless device via the Sony Vaio care centre.

13 REPLIES 13
AxlMcKagan
Explorer

Also have the same issue.  It seems to be very widespread, there is a 25 page thread dedicated to it on the US Sony community site.  Some people have been able to fix it with drivers etc but I had no success and many others too.  I had to ask for a replacement, not terribly optimistic about an improvement when I receive my replacement.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think Sony are aware of the problem and are trying to develop a fix.

Have you phoned Sony Support?  The more people that phone, the faster they will develop a solution.

:wink:

JennyCOZ
Explorer

I've just updated all drivers and new bios and still got painful and unreliable WiFi connection on my new Sony Vaio Pro so I finally rang Sony Service in Australia, where I happen to be travelling.   They say that they are aware that this is a common problem with Viao Pro and that the company is developing new firmware to fix it.   This will be available in "the next few weeks".  When asked if they planned to let customers know that this fix was coming they said no  "its impossible for us to let customers know individually and we won't put it on a website or into a forum because it might cause customers to panic"   !!!   This is a ridiculous and irresponsible response to a problem that they have been aware of for months and is symptomatic of Sony's approach to customer service.    Spread the word - we all have a right to know that the company knows this is a software fault of their own and that they have been slow and unresponsive in fixing it and that they have no plans to communicate with buyers of their machines.  

This is a huge issue with the vaio pro 13, this utter junk, Sony don't want to acknowledge it and their support is rubbish! I've just sent mine back!!

---

Edited by Drew - Profanity removed.

SHumayun
Explorer

Same problem here. Mine's also going back for a replacement which will likely have the same problem which will likely end up going back for a refund.

Go to Intel webpage and download the latest driver for SONY PRO ....7260 is the drivers code. Execute the file you will download and...you will improve the stability of the WI FI connection and, somohow, the download speed. Do not hope for more.... it looks like that we have to live with this issue, as long as we will own the new SONY PRO device :slight_smile:

SHumayun
Explorer

Thanks for this. I will give it a go. I don't think the issue is limited to the vaio pro 13. I've been considering the unthinkable and switching to a mac given that I've never had these sorts of issues with my ipad. However, I have now seen reports of mac air users reporting similar problems. I think the problem is with the intel wifi card.

Saftkorg
Explorer

I've tried all drivers I can find. The weird part is that it's slow ( 7 Mbit/s) on my 802.11n router, but on the router that runs 802.11g I get 12Mbit/s as expected. Note that on all other devices (svd11)  I still get 12 Mbit/s on the 802.11n router.  

rooster12
Explorer

Yep, I have been suffering for 2 months with this on my Duo 11. It used to be perfect then the ethernet driver failed first running from 39mps down to between .5 - 1.5

I then started using the wireless only, which worked fine, then went the same way.

I have done everything to rectify it, but was advised back in August by Sony that there had been an issue with a Windows 8 update around the time and the driver was not able to cope, so they were writing a fix. I was told this would be done by the end of August, but that wasn't the case. I phoned support again two weeks ago after getting frustrated with waiting and was told they are working on it and would be released at the end of the month. Well it's the end of the month and I have just checked for updates in Vaio care and nada!! If this prolongs I will also concider returning it and posting my displeasure where I can. I am a massive Sony fan (computer, phone, amp, gaming, camera etc) usually, but this has gone beyond the joke. Currently Vaio products are not fit for purpose. I was going to pre-order a PS4 and get a Smart Watch 2, but my current disatisfaction has caused me to reconcider both. Maybe I will chop it in for an Acer and used the saved money for an xbox one....:smileysad: