Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ2XP/C Screen issue

Sony-Dutchman
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ2XP/C Screen issue

Hi - I got my laptop at the end of June and have been very happy with it.
At the weekend I opened the laptop and to my horror I found that the screen showed what looked some sort of crack! On feeling the screen it is in fact intact, and the outside casing is not marked either. Please see attached picture.

This morning (Sun 7 Oct) I opened the laptop again and the fault seems to be creeping across the screen; whereas previously it was between 1-2 cm, not it is at least 4-5cm wide and is basically unuseable.

I really can't think how this could have happened as I am really careful with it and have even bought a case for it.

Can someone please have a look at the pictures and tell me what they think the issue might be. I really needs this fixed for a presentation I'm doing at the end of October.
I am hoping it can be done under warrenty.

12 REPLIES 12
Sony-Dutchman
Visitor

not sure whether thse pics are coming through...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Sony-Dutchman,

Sadly we can't see your pictures..:smileysad:

have a look at this thread on how to post images..:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Sony-Dutchman,

Unfortunately the pics are not displaying. You need to upload these to a host such as Photobucket and then provide an image link from the host…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Sony-Dutchman
Visitor

Thx guys. Here are the images (hopefully :slight_smile: )

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

OMG you have my sympathy, your screen is cracked and will need replacing. It could be difficult to persuade Sony that this is a manufacturing fault but I would give it a go. You may also be able to claim from your house contents insurance if you are lucky.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I agree with Rob :slight_frown: , if you are unseccessful with the warranty claim and you wish to replace the screen yourself have a look at Nexttronics..

marzipan99
Visitor

Bad luck

An allied question - is the hinge plastic on your SZ2 scored with tiny scratch marks - I mean just along from the LEDs and above the speakers, to the right and above the on switch. Mine is, mysteriously and I wondered about yours from the pics

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Ugh that's terrible!
Hope Sony can help you out with this one, as that's really screwed up.

Did you move it at all?

apierc1
Visitor

Obviously the "cover" of the screen is made of a polymer and so is unlikely to be damaged, say if you poked the screen and it cracked (I'm not saying you did this just example) the cover would probably look untouched where as the diode screen could crack, and probably the heat from the screen (contracting and expanding, cooling and heating up) could then cause the crack to spread as it has. Therefore this could bend two ways (I mean the situation) you can call sony and they will claim that you have in some way caused the screen to crack and so it will not be covered by warranty, or you could try and argue, my only thought on how this could have happened would be that if there was a slight manufacturing fault, where there was an imperfection in the manufacturing of the screen where there was a tiny crack/tear at the top or bottom (wherever the crack eminated from) and over time the process of heating up and cooling down has caused the crack to expand/creep, this obviously would speed up over time, so once the crack had got underway it would have quickly spread over the screen as it has done. By the look of it, with it being an LCD, so liquid crystal the liquid has spread, if there was a stress fracture you would expect a cirular crack pattern, as a stone smashing a windscreen for example, not a linear line, where as if you say dropped the laptop (again I'm not saying it has been dropped) it may have produced a crack at the edge with it then spreading.

I hope you can get this repaired under the warranty, please update us on your progress,

Andy :slight_smile: