Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ2XP/C Screen issue

Sony-Dutchman
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ2XP/C Screen issue

Hi - I got my laptop at the end of June and have been very happy with it.
At the weekend I opened the laptop and to my horror I found that the screen showed what looked some sort of crack! On feeling the screen it is in fact intact, and the outside casing is not marked either. Please see attached picture.

This morning (Sun 7 Oct) I opened the laptop again and the fault seems to be creeping across the screen; whereas previously it was between 1-2 cm, not it is at least 4-5cm wide and is basically unuseable.

I really can't think how this could have happened as I am really careful with it and have even bought a case for it.

Can someone please have a look at the pictures and tell me what they think the issue might be. I really needs this fixed for a presentation I'm doing at the end of October.
I am hoping it can be done under warrenty.

12 REPLIES 12
Sony-Dutchman
Visitor

Hi chaps - good to have feedback.

Re the question from marzipan99, I do have a set of small scratches at regular intervals between the LEDs and the hinges.

I've had one definite quote from the 'laptopshop' in Brighton (£379 all in) - I hope he knows this one has the carbon-fibre spec. I am awaiting a quote from another local shop (solaristech.co.uk). Any comments from people who might have used them b4?

Finally got hold of Sony - they gave me a 'case' number, and I've sent them an email with the 3 pics i attached to this forum. Being Sony, of course, they were not cheap. Their ball-park figure was at least £550 ! Trouble is they'll pick it up and diagnose the fault. If you don't want it repaired, it'll still cost £105! Nice. Once they've got the laptop, why should they 'own up' if there was a 'flaw'. I wouldn't know. The thing is, I don't think I abused the laptop. One thing I would say, however, is that the lightness of the machine does make it seem very vunerable.

I took it to my local Sony shop in Worthing and they demonstrated that even a slight pressure on the outer casing was able to produce a change in colouring on the TFT.

A search on Google suggests that other people have had problems with their screens in the first few months of ownership - I've only had mine since end June! I've had 4 other laptops and never had a problem with the screen.

The sony is nice, but I don't think I would buy another.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'd be tempted to refurb it and put it for sale.

marzipan99
Visitor

I'm happy with mine, but do feel it is terribly fragile. Have had it two months and had to send it back for a broken hinge. I would not judge it anything like as robust as my Tecra. Fact is I wouldn't buy another either.

PS
The little scratches are irritating too.