Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VPCF13M8E/B No optical drive found, Please help!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
perfectlarry
Visitor

Sony Vaio VPCF13M8E/B No optical drive found, Please help!

Hi everyone,

I only just purchased my laptop from eBay yesterday. I believe the seal was broken (may have broken during transit) but the laptop looks brand new and untouched. I turned on the laptop and installed some softwares such as Avira and Malwarebytes but the internet became very slow. I tried everything but no luck so I restored the laptop back to its factory settings through Vaio Care. I decided to not install any softwares and the internet is running fine now.

I wanted to watch a HD movie and when I pressed the button on my Blu-ray drive nothing happened. I went to My Computer to eject but there is no optical drive. I have tried installing Corel WinDVD BD from Vaio Care but no luck. I went to Device Manager but I cant see any optical drive. I don't know what is going on. I would be really grateful if somebody can tell me how to fix this problem. I hope I have not received a faulty laptop. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
perfectlarry
Visitor

OMG! I am speechless... I just turned on my laptop to take a screen shot of the Device Manager to show you and I saw the optical drive! The optical drive is now also showing in My Computer and the button works perfectly.

I don't know what you did or how you did it but THANK YOU!

This is not a joke or anything. I honestly was really worried...

Thank you for the really fast reply as well!

Lots of love!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In Device Manager is there no entry under DVD/CD-ROM Drives?

If there is no drive shown in Device Manager and no yellow warnings then it is likely that there is a fault with the optical drive or the cable has become disconnected.

I suppods you can either return it to the seller as it is faulty or you could register the Vaio with Vaio Support and see if it can be repaired under warranty.

:slight_frown:

perfectlarry
Visitor

OMG! I am speechless... I just turned on my laptop to take a screen shot of the Device Manager to show you and I saw the optical drive! The optical drive is now also showing in My Computer and the button works perfectly.

I don't know what you did or how you did it but THANK YOU!

This is not a joke or anything. I honestly was really worried...

Thank you for the really fast reply as well!

Lots of love!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Fingers crossed it stays that way!!!

:slight_smile:

perfectlarry
Visitor

Hi, I think I spoke too soon. I turned my laptop on this morning and in My Computer there is a "CD Drive (D:)" but when I try to eject it I get an error. The icon for my Blu-ray drive (when it worked) in My Computer was not called this either. I'm sure it had BD in the name but I can't remember exactly.

As a side note when I turn on my laptop somtimes my mouse does not respond. I have to take out the USB and put it in again. I am currently using the Sata/USB 2.0 port.

Do you think I received a faulty laptop? The eBay seller does not accept returns and I may have to open a case because I paid a lot of money and I can't afford to send it for repair and be without a laptop. :slight_frown:

Please advice....

PS, There is no optical drive in "Device Manager"

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like a poor connection in the wiring between the drive and the main board.

It really needs an engineer to look inside and find the exact cause and because the Vaio is still within warranty, this should be done by Sony.

You will have to decide the way forward but the Vaio is definitely faulty..

Does the mouse work OK in a normal USB 2.0 port?

:thinking:

perfectlarry
Visitor

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. How do I claim my warranty and what would I have to do? e.g. send it off or will they come and collect the laptop.

Yes the mouse works fine on a normal USB 2.0 port.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You need to register your Vaio first.  If you go to Start -> All Programs you should find listed "Register Your Vaio"

When you have registered, go to the Vaio Support site here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/index.aspx?m=0&l=en_GB

Enter your Serial Number and click on phone support.  You can discuss arrangements to collect the Vaio with the helpdesk.

:wink:

perfectlarry
Visitor

Thank you very much for all your help.

Just as a side note. I flipped the laptop to have a look at the back for the serial number  and when I turned on the laptop the Blu-ray drive works now...

Seems like there is a loose cable as you previously mentioned. Should I leave the laptop as it is for now? because I really dont want to send off my laptop.

Also can I register anytime? and will the warranty start when I register or has it already started?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate all your help and effort.

PS, I have added a screenshot of My Computer. Why is there two drives for my optical drive? My (D:) is fine but (E:) does not work.

Message was edited by: perfectlarry

Message was edited by: perfectlarry