Join now - be part of our community!

System Freezing

mattbees
Visitor

System Freezing

Does anyone know why my K215Z laptop keeps freezing? I went to the eSupport centre with the problem and they want me to wipe everything and return to the factory settings. But that seems like abit of a pants idea. Ive tried using it on a flat tray (to make sure the fan isnt blocked by my leg or something) but no matter where i use it, it always freezes, even if its not doing anything. Any Ideas?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
TygerTyger
Visitor

It's a pants idea because it's a big pain in the pants area, however actually it's a fairly good way of establishing if the problem is hardware or software related. The considerably more painful answer is that if you believe it's hardware related and must send it for repair, they will ask you to do a recovery anyway as part of the support process before they take it in.

feederfan
Visitor

Im having exactly the same problem with my K295HP! its really f@*%in annoyin!! it just randomly stops responding every so often. Ive tried wiping the laptop twice now and 2 formats later its still doing it!! I know its not overheating because sometimes it does it when the system temperature is 40C! I think there must be a faulty component somewhere, but god knows what it is.

Qbix
Visitor

If you've tried reformating and the system still freezes with an original system (i.e. no updates and no additional programmes), have you looked to see if you have the lastest BIOS?

I'm not a great fan of flashing BIOSs unless there is a problem which you can't live with or there is a major new function in the new BIOS. You might however consider freezing as such an issue and it certainly cured the freezing problems with my 701.

Q

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Some people have reported that something on the motherboard wasn't working and they had to send it in to VAIO Link, as there's no search I can't find it (!)

TygerTyger
Visitor

UPnP? I think it was something to do with that. Might have been dodgy USB.

kee-lo_

uPnP is universal plug and play, nothing to do with plug and pray LOL

It's usually used for better connectivity to devices from the net, thats why people started disabling it.

feederfan
Visitor

I dont think its a motherboard problem, and I dont kno where to get the BIOS from! I think it is an AWARD BIOS though. I have a uPnP device but that doesnt have any impact on whether it freezes or not, what is irritating is the irregularity of it, it hasnt frozen for 4 days now, but it was doing it every 30 mins last week, very confusing!

mattbees
Visitor

How do you find out the operating temperature? I noticed my fan seems to rev up when it freezes, but then its still a bit odd cos it freezes even when its idle

kee-lo_