Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad

sammylou9
Visitor

Touchpad

Hi

I have an sz vaio and my touchpad doesn't seem to work anymore 😞

does anybody know if this can be replaced and at what cost?

Thanks

Sam

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sam,

Try downloading and reinstalling the Alps Touchpad driver and Control Utility from HERE

Worth a try before you start spending money!!

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

And make sure the touchpad hasn't been disabled in Vaio Control Centre.

sammylou9
Visitor

Ive tried both the above options and neither worked 😞
Also, when I boot up, the three 'lock' lights (caps, num and scroll) all turn on but they stay on and the only way I can switch them off is to press print screen first 😕 its very weird and started hapening the same time the touchpad stopped working, I guess they must be related.
There are no other problems that I know of and I have recently done a full restore (after the problem started)

Thanks for any help

Sam

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If you've done a full recovery and you still have the problem then it's beginning to look like you've had a hardware failure. It's probably time to phone Vaio-Link if you're still under warranty. If not, and you want to try replacing the touchpad yourself then have a look at Nexttronics and see if the part is available. They are a US based company but will ship worldwide.

sammylou9
Visitor

Thanks for your advice. :slight_smile:
It has emerged that someone spilt some white wine near it just before it happened, apparently it was only a bit that splashed across it and it was near the keyboard and touchpad, I suppose this explains a lot.
Is this a common problem and easy to fix? Im guessing that makes it out of warrantee 😞
Thankfully it only seems to be the pad and board that are broken, I have run diagnostics and everything else seems to be fine

. As it is out of warrantee, will I be able to get it fixed at any computer shop or do I have to pay Sonys prices? Also, if I get it fixed by a third party, will that invalidate my warrantee for any possible future hardware problems?

Many thanks again for your time.

Sam

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sam,

You have a difficult decision. Either pay Sony's repair costs and keep your warranty or have it repaired locally (probably at less cost) and invalidate your warranty.

First step is probably to get an estimate from Sony - this may help your decision!

:thinking: