Join now - be part of our community!

USB & mem reader failed on RS404 after use of PSP

madpa01
Visitor

USB & mem reader failed on RS404 after use of PSP

Hi All,

Plugged in my PSP into my RS404 desktop via front mounted USB port only for the system to lockup.

afer reboot, via power cable, my pc now no longer reconises any USB device (via front or rear ports) and also fails to read any of the memory card reader slots.

Within file manager the icons for all the mem card slots have disappeared.

tried reinstalling the intel chipset part of the OS, checked BIOS and still no progress.

Anyone got any thoughts as I leaning towards maybe motherboard issue (fuse?) rather than software.

help appreciated.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HITS-UK
Visitor

We have had many instances where USB devices simply drop off the system for no apparent reason - never to return. One of our frequent calls is PSP-related and it seems that some PSPs can burn out the USB ports on a computer. Our guess is that some have lazy power and it causes surges/spikes that the PC simply cannot deal with.

We issued a bulletin to our customers a few months ago recommending that any USB devices to be connected to Vaio computers are connected via sel-powered USB hubs and that the devices are then plugged into the hubs rather than directly to the PC. This has resulted in a drop in 'phone calls so must have had some positive result.

madpa01
Visitor

Thanks,

Have Sony acknowledged therefore a problem with the vaio usb ports then? as you say ANY usb device shouldn't be connected directly?

I've also plugged in a USB light, normally used with my laptop, to test if the ports were receiving power... it's illuminated!?

is this therefore a 'software' issue rather than hardware?

again thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi madpa01,

did you try to re-install all drivers? I know there is some drivers linked to USB ports. (not necessarily the chipset driver)

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In Device Manager, Uninstall ALL Universal Host Contollers (you could have up to 5) and the Enhanced Host Controller by right-clicking on each in turn and choosing Uninstall.

Re-boot to automatically re-install all the Controller Drivers.

This only works in some cases but it costs nothing and is well worth a try!

The USB Hub has to be working for your Card slots to be recognised.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You may also find this old thread interesting. Someone fixed their problem with the USB ports by following Rich's bizarre suggestion that you pull the plug out of the wall and leave it for 30 minutes!!!!!!

USB NOT WORKING

:thinking:

madpa01
Visitor

tried the reinstallation of drivers, same result.

tried the power off, nothing changes.

The USB ports appear to being outputting power so if the controller has failed would this still be the case ??

is it worth trying a PCI USB card to establish ?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Could be worth a try with a PCi (or PCMCIA) USB card.

Before you do, just uninstall ALL the USB Root Hubs and the Sony Memory Card Reader/Writer and reboot to reinstall the drivers - worth trying anything once!!!!

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That really needs to be looked at by Sony, as they should not be causing damage to VAIOs

papafest
Visitor

Hi I have been trying to sort out the same problem for weeks now.
All USB ports are powered and will charge i-pods etc. but the pc will not recognise them.
This weekend i istalled a USB PCI 4 port card.PC found it fine but still refused to recognise any devices when attached.
This seems to be a growing problem for users.
I have tried the updating bios, deleting and installing drivers- unplugging overnight.
Any one have any other suggestion?