Join now - be part of our community!

Using XL 100 as wireless access point

Chuckmobile
Visitor

Using XL 100 as wireless access point

I am using my XL100 as a wireless access point for my laptop. The thing is that it seems to have a very poor range - if I move just into my next door room it loses the signal. Is this common, should I be positioning the antenna in a special way, or can I increase the output?

Another thing, (I am a beginner so bear with me) - it came with a long wire with a black toggle thing at the end which I think goes into the infrared out connector at the back. However, there is nothing in the manual nor of course in the setup stuff which came with it. It doesn't seem to have a purpose.

4 REPLIES 4
tajw
Visitor

The long wire sends IR signal to your set top box (STB) if you are using cable or satellite.

You position it over the receiver on the front of your set top box, so when you change channels on media center it send a signal to your STB and he presto it changes your viewing channel

In practice the delay is sometimes annoying, you can adjust it as part of the set up on My TV.

Keep the antennae vertical, and try positioning away from thick walls, radiators etc. Bit problematic as the cable is so short... has anybody sourced an extension cable?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I am using my XL100 as a wireless access point for my laptop.  The thing is that it seems to have a very poor range - if I move just into my next door room it loses the signal.  Is this common, should I be positioning the antenna in a special way, or can I increase the output?

I think you need a standalone access point

Chuckmobile
Visitor

Thank you for letting me know! As I don't have either I guess that is one less bit of cable clutter at the back! Why is there nothing in the manual... who knows.?

Chuckmobile
Visitor

And I guess I'll invest in something a bit more robust for the wi-fi. THanks for both the answers - very helpful for a beginner!!