Join now - be part of our community!

vaio hanging after startup

bluemore
Visitor

vaio hanging after startup

I have recently experienced a problem with my PCG-8L3M NOTEBOOK. It was giving great service then started to close itself down without warning. Then it got to the point where It would require a couple of re-starts and it would be fine. Now it starts then hangs. I have done what I can in terms of checking memory, cleaning fan, reformating HD etc but still this persists.
Anyone any ideas or is this an expensive problem?

17 REPLIES 17
bluemore
Visitor

did that as well. i have reinstalled the set-up disks a few times now. This process is fine, no problems, then when it's all done and loads XP, get a message telling me the boot.ini is missing yet it still boots into XP then runs for a while. Took it to a repair shop and could not even get the fault to occur. Is it possible it could be some BIOS virus? Is the BIOS flashable on the vaio?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Is the BIOS flashable on the vaio?

Yes it is.
But before you flash make sure to take out any ADDITIONAL memory as you can destroy the BIOS

bluemore
Visitor

I have had the notebook to a computer shop and asked them to flash the bios to see if that would work. Thy have told me that they cannot get windows to start for long enough to flash the bios. Is the bios flashed while windows is running? or are they just having me on here?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Can they not do it in ODOS?

Woody27
Visitor

Yes, they should be able to flash the BIOS in DOS!

Remember, if they flash the BIOS get them to remove the additional RAM beforehand, otherwise the process can hang and permanently damadge your computer (the BIOS update will not be expecting the additional memory to address and gets confused)!

Keep us informed of progress!

CW

bluemore
Visitor

i think these people have been having me on. I don't think they have actually done anything. Where do i find the bios software update for the vaio? Is there a website? what else should I know before attempting to do this myself?

Woody27
Visitor

If there is a BIOS update for your model you will find it on the VAIO LINK website!

CW

bluemore
Visitor

I have taken the notebook to 3 professionals. all of them said its the mother board. Cost of repair? forget it they said, not worth it, too expensive. So anyways, I'm on my travels in the far east and have a stop over in bangkok. I have the notebook with me so decide to visit a local bazar for computer components. In this bazae is a young boy mending notebooks. what the hell I thought, so asked him to have a look. Straight away he said cpu! I said no way, that would have been picked up by the pros. I show you he said in broken english. Within 25 minutes, viao back to life and working fine. Cost? 93 quid all in.
14 yr old Tai boy vs the pros! no competition