Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio laptop battery holding charge but not increasing.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Sheechiibii
Visitor

Vaio laptop battery holding charge but not increasing.

My laptop isn't charging properly. It's a pretty new laptop (5 months, model number VPCEJ2C5E) and still has the original battery and charger. The problem is that the laptop is holding a charge but is not charging any further, not even when it's switched off or hibernating. It's sitting at 12% and says that it's 'plugged in, charging' but it's been like this for two days now. The battery light at the front of the laptop is blinking fast as well.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Message was edited by: Sheechiibii

Message was edited by: Sheechiibii

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VaioFYM
Visitor

I'm having the same thing.  I googled it (which is how I found your question) but I also found this:  http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

Haven't tried it yet (got too much work open to close down at the moment) but looks to be a good solution.  Hope it works for you - I'll be trying it later.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
peshyxp
Visitor

I would first go down the DIY route and see if you can sort the problem out

Drain the battery fully until it doesnt have any more charge

Then remove from laptop and let it sit for ten minutes

Then insert again and recharge

If it still only charges up to 12% then may be a fault with the battery or an issue with the software that controls the charge to the battery

If at all possible try and get another battery from friend or someone that will fit your model and test that one

If it charges fully and works ok then its most likely a problem with your battery

In this case get straight onto Sony Support and insist they replace it since its still within warranty

Re the software issue you may want to google this to see if there any fixes since sometimes software can get  corrupted and stops the battery from fully charging

Keep us posted how you get on

Sheechiibii
Visitor

It doesn't charge up to 12% though so I think if I drain it I won't be able to turn my laptop back up at all. I was using my laptop unplugged and plugged it in when it was down to 14% and it held there for a while but while I was trying to fix it I had it unplugged for a little while and it went down to 12%. So it hasn't actually charged back up at all for two days. I must be getting some power though because otherwise it would continue draining. I'm worried that if I drain it all the way down I won't be able to use my laptop at all and I really don't want that. As it is now I just can't unplug because everytime it goes further down it won't start charging back up.

Thank you :slight_smile: I've been trying to find tips through google as well. I'll just keep trying.

VaioFYM
Visitor

I'm having the same thing.  I googled it (which is how I found your question) but I also found this:  http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

Haven't tried it yet (got too much work open to close down at the moment) but looks to be a good solution.  Hope it works for you - I'll be trying it later.

Sheechiibii
Visitor

Thank you! Tried it and it worked, so relieved. I hope it works for you as well.

huangshan
New

This Sony VGP-BPS22 battery replacement maked with Hi-Quality battery cells, which is guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM specifications, Li-ion 11.10V and 5200mAh capacity and is 100% compatible with the original equipment. All VGP-BPS22 Sony laptop batteries on sale have passed the stringent quality control tests that ensure they will work well with your model. We offer 30-day money-back refund on every battery we sell.

Edit: link removed. Marketing not allowed.

hewanyv
Explorer

If the battery is removed from the system, it will still work with the AC adapter plugged in. Incase its not working, please follow the below Steps to release static\flea power from the system.
1. Power the system down.
2. Remove all external devices and disconnect AC adapter power cable from the system if applicable.
3. Remove the battery from the system.
4. Hold down the power button continuously for at least 10 seconds. Do not release the power button during this process. (Release the power button after 10 seconds)
5. Connect the AC adaptor back to the system and don’t insert the battery back to the system.
6. Power the system on.

{commercial link removed}