Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Tap 11 Wireless Performance Issues

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
gazza040502
Explorer

Vaio Tap 11 Wireless Performance Issues

I have a new Tap 11 (Product name SVT1121C5E, model SVT112A2WM) that is having a few teething problems, one of which is poor wireless performance.  

Using the Ookla speedtest (speedtest.net) I get a maximum of around 3 Mbps downstream, and up for that matter. If I run the same speedtest from another laptop also connected wirelessly sitting next to each other, I get around 20 Mbps down.  I have tried this with multiple different devices (including another Vaio, iPad, Android phone) and all other devices get around 20 Mbps over a wireless connection.  It is also independent of location around my house - always around 3Mbps.

(For info, I have a 50 Mbps cable connection.  A PC connected by wired ethernet gets 24+Mbps down usually).

So I can only conclude from this that the hardware, configuration or drivers of the Tap are limiting the performance to around 3Mbps.  

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on how to improve performance?

Can someone else with a Tap 11 run the same tests and see if they get similar results?

TIA,

Gary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
gazza040502
Explorer

Final update:  For those that are interested (since there was no other response to this thread) the installation of the Intel drivers seems to have fixed the problem.  I can actually get 20+ Mbps over the wireless - I have just discovered the wireless aerial on the Tap 11 is quite sensitive to orientation and location.

Vaio Care / Update  is still trying to re-install the Sony version of the driver which is annoying (as this appears to be the one with the problem), so I will wait until the next Sony update of this driver before installing it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
gazza040502
Explorer

Update:  I updated the iSCT drivers yesterday from Intel and this appears to have improved the situation (although I can't be positive is was a result of this driver update as things got a little messy and I had to reinstall various recent Vaio updates after it looks like the Intel iSCT and Sony iSCT updates don't get along - I still have Vaio Care trying to install the Sony version of these drivers over the top of the Intel version and getting an error).

That said, the wireless performance is now around 6 Mbps, which is a significant improvement, but again well short of the 20 Mbps I get from my Android phone and other Vaio laptop.

So there is still an issue here, and I'm still looking to get it sorted. 

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
gazza040502
Explorer

Final update:  For those that are interested (since there was no other response to this thread) the installation of the Intel drivers seems to have fixed the problem.  I can actually get 20+ Mbps over the wireless - I have just discovered the wireless aerial on the Tap 11 is quite sensitive to orientation and location.

Vaio Care / Update  is still trying to re-install the Sony version of the driver which is annoying (as this appears to be the one with the problem), so I will wait until the next Sony update of this driver before installing it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to post the fix.  Hopefully it will assist others who are in the same position.

The (lack of) response from the community, is probably due to people not knowing the solution exact to your problem.

Cheers

justinhui
New

Hi I found wireless performance vastly improved when I changed the advanced power settings (i accessed it from the battery symbol on the desktop tray->more power options->Change plan setings) so that the wireles adaptor settings were on 'maximum performance' on battery.