Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A Graphics Drivers... ....A Winner !?!

Woody27
Visitor

VGN-A Graphics Drivers... ....A Winner !?!

Dear All,

Just lately there have been many questions re. graphics drivers on the A-series laptops. I thought I would try all of the main driver options on my VGN-A115Z, one after the other, using the following games:

Half-Life 2
DOOM3
Command and Conquer Generals
Simcity 4
Quake III Arena
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

The drivers tested were:

Standard Sony Driver (factory installed)
Modded Catalyst Driver (4.11 latest from ATi web site)
Tech Magazine Half-Life 2 modded Ati driver (suggestion of TygerType)
OmegaDriver 2.5.90 (Catalyst 4.10 Beta) - NOTE: this will be updated next week with the drivers based on Catalyst 4.11!

These are my findings:

Standard Sony - CRAP, DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 only work for a limited time and then stall! They also run relatively slowly! :slight_frown:

Modded Catalyst - Would still not install correctly even after running the mod tool! :cry: I have succesfully installed the modded 4.10 driver, but the perfomance boost over the above is negligable (it's does'nt hang as much though!) :neutral:

TechMagazine - Installed OK... ..but made absolutely no difference compared to the standard Sony Drivers! DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 still hang in the same places (which seems to coincide with large amonts of HDD data retreival). :slight_frown:

Omega Drivers- Installed OK, and all games run flawlessley! The games also run faster! The only issue I have noticed is that if I start the laptop and then do nothing for an extended period of time (several hours) the graphics do break up and then correct... ...but then the screen update is slowed. However, that is the only issue I have seen and when do you usually start the computer up only to do nothing with it?

Winner (on my system) the Omega Drivers! :smileygrin:

It will be interesting to see how the new ones perform after their release next week! http://www.omegadrivers.net

Hope this helps!

CW

PS buy the way, I have had no graphics driver problems on my PS2... ....ha ha! :laughing: :laughing:

26 REPLIES 26
Dziga
Visitor

Why don't you try the most obvious driver of all: the Sony 9700 driver, dated 30th October from vaio-update. It seems no-one knows this driver exists. All games work flawlessly with this driver.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Weird......with me it was the other way around, Omega Drivers made my system crash and Tech Mags made it run well :smileyconfused:. Drivers are a pain sometimes. Still it's nice to have results all round :smileygrin:.

Good choice of game too :smileygrin:. I was just getting shot up on the new deathmatch thing. I can run the game on medium everything nice and smoothly on a laptop, I really am so impressed with the game can't say it enough. Except for Steam.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Same with me Tyger, although mine were only tested with one game - Grand Theft Auto Vice City.

The results:-
Sony factory installed drivers: cr4p , runs in frames 3/10
Omega Drivers: Buggy installation, game still runs in frames 4/10
Tech Magazine Drivers: Excellent performance with+without LCD expansion 10/10

Tested on Sony VAIO PCG-K115B, Windows XP SP2 (Home), Celeron 2.80GHz processor, 32/64/128MB Shared graphics, ATi Radeion IGP345M

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well I have to admit something, I love C&C, I have to hide my CD because I can play it happily for 12hrs

Woody27
Visitor

Why don't you try the most obvious driver of all: the Sony 9700 driver, dated 30th October from vaio-update. It seems no-one knows this driver exists. All games work flawlessly with this driver.

Because I don't have a Radeon Mobility 9700!

I have a Radeon Mobility 9200! :smileygrin: For which there are no updates! :cry:

CW

Woody27
Visitor

It is interesting how the different graphics card iterations behave so differntly with the many different drivers available!

I don't think this topic is going away!

CW

Dziga
Visitor

oops sorry Woody. I assumed incorrectly that all A-series had the 9700. I guess that only came later - after all mine was still advertised as 9200 when it came with the 9700.

I'll be trying the new Omegas when released - the thirst for more fps is unquenchable of course :slight_smile:

I will post my results for the benefit of 9700 users.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I don't think this topic is going away!

Yeah have to agree Woody...

Woody27
Visitor

Dear All,

I'm going to give the new Omega Drivers a whirl tonight, I will post the outcome a.s.a.p.!

CW