Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

alok
Visitor

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

I received my Sony Notebook VGN-B1VP and was expecting to see it equpped with a 40GB hard drive, but when i checked, there were two hard drives, and one was a 13.9GB, and the other 16.3GB This only totals to 30.2GB and not 40. Please coukd somebody advise me as to whether this piece only has the wrong hard drive, or if there is a mass of misprints regarding the memory.

42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The remaining space is used as a recovery partition IIRC

magnumopus
Visitor

I had the same thing with my K315M I bought last week. Not a lot of space left for much at all. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on your model but here what you need to do. First off create the recovery DVD's. Place the system recovery DVD into the drive and reboot it. You will find after a short while there's an option to combine all the space into a single partition which also get's rid of the hidden recovery partition as well. select this and follow the instructions, might take a while but what you'll be left with is a single C: drive with all of the supplied software on it and if you need to restore it you have the DVD's. It seems a little scary but it does work, I'm living proof. LOL :slight_smile:

alok
Visitor

thanks for that, but i still cannot understand as to why 10GB is used just for a partition! However in regards to the last reply, i cannot burn DVDs as this doesnt have a DVD burner, so does antone has any other solutions please.

magnumopus
Visitor

I assume it has a CD burner? Is there a program supplied to make back up CD's? On mine i had the choice of using 2 x DVD's or 9 CDR's. It's possible that it may not have this facility and you have to rely on the backup partition to restore your machine... which is fine until the hard drive bites the dust. Never did like that method hence I made sure when i bought this one that it either came with or you could create your own recovery discs.

alok
Visitor

when i create the discs, which recovery dis do i put it out of the 9 i create? i will give this a try, and hope it works.

kee-lo_

Good luck

magnumopus
Visitor

when i create the discs, which recovery dis do i put it out of the 9 i create? i will give this a try, and hope it works.

I hope you labeled the discs or this could be fun. :slight_smile:

Normally the first one, system recovery.

robpaxton
Explorer

When you create the disks - create a couple of sets. There is nothing worse than trying to use a set of recovery disks then discovering that one disk is faulty.

Store them in cases in a dark drawer somewhere.

kee-lo_

Make AT LEAST 3 sets, specially the price Sony charges