Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

alok
Visitor

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

I received my Sony Notebook VGN-B1VP and was expecting to see it equpped with a 40GB hard drive, but when i checked, there were two hard drives, and one was a 13.9GB, and the other 16.3GB This only totals to 30.2GB and not 40. Please coukd somebody advise me as to whether this piece only has the wrong hard drive, or if there is a mass of misprints regarding the memory.

42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree, I feel we have paid for Windows at it's full price!
So we should get recovery CDs

Thank god the RA104 has a DVD :smileygrin:

robpaxton
Explorer

Strictly speaking, we haven't paid full price. We've paid for a limited licence that is locked to a particular computer. Microsoft then sells this cheaper to the OEM to encourage new computer sales.

It still doesn't justify not having properly mastered recovery media though.

Woody27
Visitor

Whatever, we have payed (in some form or other) for our VAIOs AND the sofware installed on them.

Sony should give us the recovery disks out of courtesy, they always have done!.... ....so why not now??

CW

kee-lo_

I can see Robs point here though, still have to agree with Woody, a DVD would be nice.

robpaxton
Explorer

Rob said:

It still doesn't justify not having properly mastered recovery media though.

kee-lo_

Sorry my poor phrasing again

Woody27
Visitor

Sorry Rob,

Did'nt see that bit at the bottom of your post....

....too mesmarised by that ring! :smileygrin:

CW

Titane
Visitor

:smileybatting_eyelashes: Hello,

Maybe time for me to list some advantages of the Hard disk recovery system:
* You can never again lose the recovery disk(s)
* You always have the chance to recover the system wherever you are
* If wanted, you can create the recovery disk(s) yourselves from the HDD
* The recovery process is much faster than with standard disk-process (about 20 min vs. 60 min)
* Less recovery disks spread around is better for the environment :four_leaf_clover:

So, you don't have to agree 100% but at least, there is a reasonning behind :slight_smile:

:hugging: Titane

TygerTyger
Visitor

Ah hey, well thank you for finding out the reasoning behind it for us! I agree with points 2 and 4 certainly. But time for the counter argument :smileywink:.

I would say that on a small hard drive (40Gb I guess would be small nowadays) it's pretty unforgivable to take up so much of it brand new. Secondly you can lose the recovery disk, because if something nasty happens to the recovery partition part of the drive, then you are a bit stuck I would imagine. Unless of course you back up the recovery partition onto CD's/a DVD, which is the sensible option but totally negates the point of a recovery partition in the first place and ends up being an equal bummer for the environment to boot. So I still don't see why it's a great idea. Plus of course you have to pay for the CD's/DVD's to do it on.
Actually I quite liked your bit about the environment being a vegetarian animal-loving hippy :smileygrin: but I can't see that a single DVD with a computer is going to hurt too much, especially compared with 9 CD's? And now I think about it, if you want to save the environment why only do the recovery partition on some computers? Do you know how it's chosen which ones get the premade things and which don't?

Anyway thank's for finding out for us as I say and I agree with part of what you say on behalf of Sony. But uh sorry, I think I stand by my original opinion. :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Thanks Anne, but there are a few things I disagree with (well I wouldn't be Kee-Lo if I didn't now would I? :smileywink:)

I think that they should offer them as well, so there's more choice.
DVD+Rs can easily get scratched, they're not as strong a pressed disks.
Taking them along with you is not that heavy.
If a virus attacks your boot sectors, the partition is good as dead.

I do agree about the enviorment, we need to save it.