Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FS315B notebook has DIED on me. Won´t start up. PLEASE HELP!

brinners
Visitor

VGN-FS315B notebook has DIED on me. Won´t start up. PLEASE HELP!

My notebook is two years old. It was on the other day, I was using it whilst charging from the mains and suddenly the whole thing went dead. I tried to turn it on again but to no avail. All the lights come on but stay on permanently, they don´t flash like normal, nothing boots up, the screen stays black. My local computer shop have had a look and say it needs to go back to Sony for repair. They have managed to access the hard drive and backup my documents. They said it may be an electrical fault.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would really appreciate any help as I´m very wary of sending it back to Sony and being charged a fortune! Thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
brinners
Visitor

Please, if anyone has got any advice I´d really appreciate it. I´m totally stuck without my laptop. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Welcome to Club Vaio brinners!!

Sorry, we are not ignoring you - I don't think anyone has an answer.

It does sound like an electrical fault and will probably need repair - but just try this first.

1. Detach from the mains and remove the battery.
2. Hold down the 'Power On' button for 30 seconds.
3. Reconnect AC Power only - leave the battery out - and turn on power.
4. Try to start your Vaio normally.
5. Pray

:pray:

brinners
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo... LOL at the praying!

I´ve just tried your method ... thought I was in luck for a second as it made a tiny start up noise ... but nothing. I´m very worried now! I´m wondering whether we may have had a power surge (we get loads of them here in Spain).

I was looking at the Sony repair page, I hope it´s not the main board as that´s really expensive to repair, the power board is a cheaper repair fee but haven´t got a clue what it could be. Do you think it´s worth ringing VAIO Link for a diagnosis or should I just bite the bullet and send it off? Unfortunately it´s out of warranty by a few months so I know VAIO Link charge for over the phone support.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I´m very worried now! I´m wondering whether we may have had a power surge (we get loads of them here in Spain). 

I'm afraid that was my thought when I read your post.. :slight_frown:

Have you tried Sony's e-Support online service? Use the following link: Sony's e-Support online service

brinners
Visitor

Thalamus, do you know which part would be affected by a power surge?

Don´t tell me all of them ... :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus, do you know which part would be affected by a power surge?

Don´t tell me all of them ... :cry:

Unfortunately it could be a number of different parts and without looking at your Vaio it would be hard to pinpoint which one/s.. :slight_frown:

brinners
Visitor

I thought as much! Might be cheaper to buy a new one!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi brinners

Try asking a good local PC repairer in your area for an free estimate.?

This should give you an idea of work involved in repairing your Vaio and hopefully enable you decide on the next course of action..

ie repair or replace..

brinners
Visitor

Hi brinners

Try asking a good local PC repairer in your area for an free estimate.?

This should give you an idea of work involved in repairing your Vaio and hopefully enable you decide on the next course of action..

ie repair or replace..

Thanks for your message. I did take it to my local PC guy, he ran various tests, backed up everything off the hard drive and recommended we send it to Sony. He seemed to think it was something electrical. Maybe I´ll go back to him and see if he can attempt to fix it, or is it that it can only be fitted with Sony parts, and therefore only repaired by Sony?