Join now - be part of our community!

VGN FS415S Problem with CD-Rom/DVD

JMueller
Visitor

VGN FS415S Problem with CD-Rom/DVD

Hi!

I have problems with my CD/DVD device. It cannot read CDs anymore (does not matter if original ones or not) but it can perfectly read DVDs (and burn them).

I have my Laptop a month now and have used the CD-burner some times. Once it did not work anymore and I had to restart the laptop again. Since then it could not read CDs anymore.

I have already deinstalled roxio and the driver (which installs itself again immediately) - but that did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know what I could do?

THANKS!

4 REPLIES 4
Sebby
Visitor

It's most probably a faulty optical drive. This is extremely common at the moment. What model is the optical drive (you can check in Device Manager).

JMueller
Visitor

The model is DW-Q58A. Do you know if this has caused more problems? Is this a hardware problem although it can read and play DVDs? Probably I will have to send it back.

Sebby
Visitor

I had a DW-D56A. The fact it can read DVDs and not CDs does not mean it's not hardware. Mine could read pressed CDs, but not CD-Rs. Sony will tell you to try a system restore, and may also get you to use their (IMO useless) Hardware Diagnostics Tool, but my bet is it's hardware. As I say, this has been very common recently.

JMueller
Visitor

thanks a lot for your info! 🙂