VGN-N38E touchpad u/s after Windows 7 install - please help

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
petrobe41
Visitor

VGN-N38E touchpad u/s after Windows 7 install - please help

Hi All

Can anyone help?

Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my VGN-N38E.  Everything was working great. Powered up this morning and my touchpad and keyboard would not work, restarted machine then the keyboard started working but the touchpad wont.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing.

Tried updating driver.

Tried booting in safe-mode, deleting entries in registry, deleting all record of Alps software, uninstalled Apoint.

NOTHING i have tried has worked.

When I look in device manager it doesn't even show up, all that shows is the USB mouse I have had to start using.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Its driving me mad!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi petrobe41,

Is there anything showing in Device Manager as ‘Unknown Device’? If so update the driver following the ‘Have Disk’ instructions below.

If nothing is showing at all, as a last resort, uninstall all devices listed under ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and then shut down.

Remove the AC power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Re-attach the AC adaptor and battery, re-boot and let Windows reinstall the drivers.

If at that stage you have an unknown USB device listed in Device Manager then update the driver using the original Vista Pointing Device driver that can be found in the original drivers folder (Pointing sub-folder).

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-N38E_W/updates

You will need to use the ‘Have Disk’ method.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
danhague
Visitor

Try to visit the website of the touchpad provider that came pre installed in this notebook. Try to download and install the driver form their site too.

Please update us on how this goes. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi petrobe41,

Is there anything showing in Device Manager as ‘Unknown Device’? If so update the driver following the ‘Have Disk’ instructions below.

If nothing is showing at all, as a last resort, uninstall all devices listed under ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and then shut down.

Remove the AC power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Re-attach the AC adaptor and battery, re-boot and let Windows reinstall the drivers.

If at that stage you have an unknown USB device listed in Device Manager then update the driver using the original Vista Pointing Device driver that can be found in the original drivers folder (Pointing sub-folder).

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-N38E_W/updates

You will need to use the ‘Have Disk’ method.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
petrobe41
Visitor

Hiya

Had tried that already but no joy.

Thanks for the reply

petrobe41
Visitor

Hi Rich912

THANK YOU!! That worked!!

The only thing now is to try to get the Apoint softwae to work, have downloaded the latest updates from the Sony site but theres a problem with the installer, says it can't access the dll file

Pete

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Pete,

Can you elaborate on what worked and the method you are using to update the driver?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
petrobe41
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.  I was just typing a message when it came to me, Its sorted now, thank you so much.

Pete

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome Pete:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat