Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-S3HP - Matshita UJ-822Da v1.0 optical drive problem

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

VGN-S3HP - Matshita UJ-822Da v1.0 optical drive problem

Hi everybody,

I bought my VGN-S3HP three months ago and now my optical drive (Matshita UJ-822Da 1.0) cannot read original DVD films (8.5GB). Basically, it doesn't recognise that DVD disks.

I did all this:

1) System Restore to a Restore point where the Vaio was working fine.

2) A Clean Boot of Windows, to see if there are any processes or programs which are blocking the access to the DVD.

3) I checked in the Device Manager if there are no exclamation mark or question mark next to the drive, but there is no problem there.

4) I also reinstalled the driver.

5) Finally, I did a system recovery using the VAIO Recovery Tool to left the notebook at same state when I bought it, and nothing happened; the optical drive was working same wrong than before the system recovery.

And my results were these:

1) None of methods worked.

2) My results are these:

a) The optical drive can read CD's (original and CD-R) and write CD's too. Although, sometimes, the optical drive can detect the original music CDs, it doesn't read them in a good way; it has problems and it freezes a bit whem I jump from one song to another one.

b) The optical drive can read DVD's (only DVD-R and DVD-RW) and write DVD-R/RW too. Moreover, sometimes the optical drive doesn't recognise the DVD-R and I have to expulse and reintroduce the DVD-R (4.7GB) again to achieve that the system recognise it. It seems to work well with DVD-Rs from Sony, LG, Verbatim and TDK, but gives me problems with the BASF-EMTEC mark, recorded before.

c) The optical drive NEVER can read original DVD films, now; and I think that the problem could be that these are dual layer DVDs (8.5GB) and the optical drive has problems to read them; although it has sometimes problems to read single layer recorded DVD-R (4.7GB) too now, like I told you above.

Then, do you think that this is a Hardware problem?

Could be a firmware problem of the optical drive (MATSHITA UJ-822Da v1.0)?

Could you help me, please?

Thank you very much floks.

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would arrange a pickup with VAIO-Link.com

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Hi Kee-Lo,

What do you mean?

Do you mean that I should send my notebook for repairing?

Regards,
Torakaru.

tonybeard
Explorer

Buy a good quality DVD reader cleaner CD and reinstall the drivers. Otherwise the 'Lo is right you will need to start a case with Vaio Link and get it repaired. To be honest with you. I have the same exact Matshitty and I have had no trouble but so many here at CV have that it is only a matter of time. My advice is to upgrade to anything but a Matshita (Panasonic) optical drive. Maybe to the new Dual layer DVD RW drives I think they Toshiba.

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Hi TonyBeard,

Do you think that a DVD reader cleaner CD will help me really?

Moreover, like you can see in my post, the problem is very strange, because I cannot understand why the optical drive can read and write DVD-R (4.7GB) but it cannot read original DVD films (8.5GB).

Do you know if is posible an firmware update?

Finally, how I can upgrade my optical drive? I think that it is customized for my VAIO laptop, should I send it to SOny for that kind of update? Is that possible?

Sorry by all my questions and thank you very much in advance

kee-lo_

Hi Kee-Lo,

What do you mean?

Do you mean that I should send my notebook for repairing?

Regards,
Torakaru.

You go to vaio-link.com
and set up a case
they'll pick it up via DHL, fix it and return it to you within 10 working days

ant1uk
Visitor

Hi Kee-Lo,

they'll pick it up via DHL, fix it and return it to you within 10 working days

thats if your lucky!!! only joking sometimes they come good first time

tonybeard
Explorer

Honesty it sounds crazy but the cleaner CD has worked for others here at CV but I have only put it to you as a last resort seeing as you have covered all bases already. Also incase it is a codec problem try this alrounder packK-Lite Codec Pack and Power DVD

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Hi TonyBeard,

I was using the K-Lite Codec Pack already; and moreover, I bought a good DVD cleaner yesterday and after use it nothing happened. I continue having the same problem. By the way, thank you very much by all your advices, really.

By other side, I send my case several days ago (5 exactly), and I have bot any new from the people of E-support at Vaio-Link; do you know how much time they need to read my case and answer it, please?

Thank you again.

Torakaru.

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Moreover, has anyone another idea to how can I solve my problem, please?

Thanks a lot.