Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-S3XP - PROBLEMS AFTER FORMATTING - Fn KEYS & STANDY MODE

rmr2eng
Visitor

VGN-S3XP - PROBLEMS AFTER FORMATTING - Fn KEYS & STANDY MODE

Hi everybody!

1 year after purchasing my laptop I finally formatted it.

To be honest I didn't like the extra software which came with it.

I rather prefer to have the windows XP and the programs which I really use only.

I've formated my VGN-S3XP without creating any recovery CD first.

To be honest I have been looking for the recovery CD for ages until I finally realized that it didn't came with the Laptop.

It is strange when we spend 2,700.00€ on a PC and we do not have a recouvery CD, on other hand you buy a 1,000.00€ Laptop and you have all the cds with it, but anyway...

I`ve installed the Windows XP Professional (English Version), typed the license nr. of the label on my laptop and I did not experience any instalation problem.

(The Windows CD is also NOT supplied with the Laptop)

I've installed the (preinstalled)drivers available on the vaio-link.com and everything seems to be working properly (according to System Devices).

Even, the bluetooth which did not worked before is now working!

The problem now is that I cannot use the Fn Keys (Blue Keys) and also when I close my laptop and it goes to standbymode the power light keeps flashing an orange light and it keeps sucking the battery until there is none left.

I've already installed the powermanagement but the problem presists.

Can someone Help me?

Also when you download the preinstalled Utilities you have lots of folders with stange names which you cannot relate with the programs in it and what do they do.

Tks!

6 REPLIES 6
szilvia
Visitor

1. check my post in the 'how to: clean install' thread.
(you have to install your drivers in the right order, and restart your laptop after every installed driver.)

2. the utilities' names are in the in each folder in the the 'setup.ini' files in the second row, after the 'appname='.

i hope i helped.

rmr2eng
Visitor

Does that mean that I have to format my laptop again?

Concerning the utilities, I do not have a recouvery CD...

What is the program that may fix the power problem when I close the lid of my laptop?

What is the program that controls/activates the Fn keys?

Tks!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi rmr2eng and welcome to the forum.

No this doesn’t mean that you need to format your notebook. The pre-installed utilities can be downloaded from Vaio-Link .
I suggest that you install all of the utilities in folder order (I through to 10), followed by a re-start.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rmr2eng
Visitor

Hi! Tks for your warm welcome!
I am trying to avoid to install more than what i really need.
Do you now the programs that I need to instal to solve my problems?

Tks!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

For the Fn key function you will need to install:

1)Sony Utilities – Utils Installer 1
2)Sony Shared Library – Utils Installer 2
3)Vaio Event Service - Utils Installer 6

For the power management: VAIO Power Management (Utils Installer 4).

A re-start will be necessary after installation and you may have to repeat the install more than once.

There may possibly be other dependencies for VAIO Power Management, thus my suggestion that you install all of the utilities…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rmr2eng
Visitor

Tks for you help.

Installed all the utilities and the Fn Keys are working OK.

Concerning the power problem I had, the problem was between the chair and the keyboard.

On the power management options I forgot to activate "enable hibernation".

Now it is enabled and I set it up to when I closed the lid of the laptop to go the hibernation.

I am so dumb...

Well thank you all for your help and MERRY XMAS!