Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-XL201 Connecting to BOTH a TFT and Projector

VGX-XL201 Connecting to BOTH a TFT and Projector

Hello.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to connect both a 1920x1200 TFT and a 1920x1020 Projector to the VGX-XL201, i.e. how to split the HDMI output between two devices. The TFT has just DVI and VGA, and the Projector has HDMI.

I have started with just the TFT, and that is using the Supplied HDMI Cable with the HDMI-DVI Adapter at the end to link to the TFT's DVI Port.

However, when the Projector arrives Tomorrow, I'll be looking to connect both! Aim being to use the TFT as a TV Set in effect, with the Projector used when we want to watch things at a larger scale.

Is there a way to split the HDMI Output, or should I aim to run the Projector from that, and look at conecting the TFT another way.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi annoyingnicknames and welcome to Club Vaio.

Unfortunately the only useable output you have is the HDMI socket. Any other connection will be limited to VGA resolutions of 480p.

If you need to have both devices connected, you will need a HDMI splitter - these cost £200 to £250 for a 2:1 box.

HERE IS ONE

The alternative is a HDMI remote control switch LIKE THIS which simply diverts the signal to one of three outputs for £99.

At that price I would be tempted to change the HDMI connector from one to the other when required!!!

:wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I think the HDMI Splitter could be the more ideal way to go, i.e. as that does what I wanted to do...but at a Price!

I had seen the Belkin HDMI Switcher, but I thought that was aimed at three Devices producing the Signals, and the Switch allowed you to point any one of those signals at just one Screen (my aim is to use two Screens, Projector and TFT).

IOW, the Belkin HDMI Switcher seems to have Three HDMI Input Ports, and One HDMI Output Port. I took that to mean three Devices creating three different Signals, and the Switch allows you to alternate which Signal you wanted to view via one Target Screen.

Such as one Screen, fed by either a PC, DVD and another device.

But might that also work in reverse, i.e. if I were to hook the VGX-VL201 to the Output Port, and the TFT and Projector to the Input Ports? (leaving one Port spare/unsed). If the physical wiring is the same either way like, say, plugging CAT5 together, then the signal ought to go the other way through the Switcher.

The Switch would be fine if so, the only negative would be that I couldn't then have BOTH the TFT and the Projector visible at the same time, whereas with the HDMI Splitter, I'd get twin Screens in effect, and I can turn either off if I only want to watch one.

BTW, the VPL-VW50 Projector is here now, but not yet switched on, as I'm organising the usual Mounts, Cables and...you've guess it, Switchers or Splitters!

I'll keep you posted on Progress.

I neglected to explain why I wanted to run BOTH a TFT and also a Projector.

This is because we tend to have the TV on most evenings, and only turn on the Projector when there's something good to watch, such as a Film, good Documentary or a DVD.

Thus, the plan was too use the 24 inch TFT 1920x1200 as a substitute TV, fed by the Vaio VGX-VL201, with the Media Centre controlling what we actually see, such as DVDs, Sky and Web Content.

Then, when we wanted, we would like the option to switch on the Projector, and either leave the TFT on, or switch it off if it distracts from the Projected image.

The Projector isn't something we'd want on all the time to make best use of Lamp Life etc. The TFT would be used maybe 70% of the time, and the Projector 45%, i.e. with some overlap when we'd have both on.

This is more or less how we run things with our existing set-up, with a Sony CRT TV and VPL-HS30 Projector (we use them 70%/45%, with an overlap when both are on at the same time).

I'd rather not fiddle around changing HDMI Cables, as that would spoil the convenience of the overall system, i.e. it would be less convient than the current system that can all be controlled via Remotes.

If I come up with a Solution, I'll let you know.

The VGX-XL201 would've been more ideal if the Video Card had both an HDMI and also a DVI Port, as then it would've been perfect! Plug the HDMI into the Projector, and the DVI into the TFT, and we'd be off!

Now typing this via the VGX-VL201 and fed to the VPL-VW50 at 1920x1020...the results are pretty stunning. Small Text is totally clear so the combination can certainly be used for showing Spreadsheet Data down to small Font Sizes. It's like having a 100 inch Widescreen TFT!

Have just looked at Gladiator via the VGX-XL201/VPL-VW50, and that too is every bit as good as hoped.

Very pleased. I can recommend this combination.

If we could also add the 24 inch TFT too, then this would make a very nice system. It's a big jump up from the CRT and VPL-HS30.

I'll investigate the HDMI Switcher and HDMI Splitter issue further later this week.