Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

Hi all

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone hadn't seen it yet.

It appears Microsoft have thrown in the towel on Windows 8.

(I can hear the 'Yippees' from here lol)

Microsoft say: "Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months."

Have a look Here :slight_smile: 

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for sharing Jumpy..:smileythumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

My pleasure :slight_smile:

Its a glimmer of light for those with a very dark current OS LOL

5b8b2dca6c4c088431fb98f7b7911b88dbffa7eaa748ce512fc2b65d753cc8dd.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously though, if Windows 10 fails to live up to my expectations - Im dumping Windows for a linux distro.  The only reason I've kept Windows 7 is that it works well and for employability purposes.  I refused Win8 as its just silly.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Or just keep using Windows 7 :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@jumpsuit 

Great info' Jumpy, you beat me to my question though - I have Windows 7 pre installed which was one of the last available prior to the launch of Windows 8, I purchased my system early to avoid having no choice. I was offered the free upgrade to 8 not long after but I did not like the look of it and now I am pleased with that decision. I am therefore in a pickle whether to take Windows 10 or not, Microsoft discontinued to support XP last year I'm sure Windows 7 will suffer the same fate eventually but right now surely it is worth keeping ? Just watch Microsoft (worlds richest man) stop supporting 7 just as the 12 month free upgrade to 10 finishes :neutral:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Jonnie1266 

That's a good point.

You won't like my answer lol although it may be a little confusing.

Windows 7 already left Mainstream support on January 13th but that doesn't mean you won't get security updates etc.

But don't worry, Its not about to follow XP to the graveyard smileyhappy:

Have a look Here

"The confusion here stems from Microsoft's maddeningly obtuse naming conventions. Leaving mainstream support only means that Windows 7 won't be receiving any new features or product tweaks...You won't be able to call Microsoft for free help if you run into an issue with Windows 7 either...You'll still receive those oh-so-critical security patches during extended support, meaning that while Windows 7 won't be in active development beyond next January, it won't be tossed to the wolves of the Web, either. Hotfixes will still be provided, too, assuming they're security related."

Here's a Microsoft Support Lifecycle page too.

(I still run XP on a machine with no problems, mind you I'm not gaming / sharing my life with the internet on it.)

I ran Windows 8 on a virtual machine first and decided it really wasn't for me either. Hopefully there will be a way to do so with Windows 10 too.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@jumpsuit 

Hey thanks for that - if you get the chance to run Windows 10 will you let us know if it is worth the upgrade (preferably before time is up ?)

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

No problem - will do :slight_smile:

In the meantime here's a video that shows a bit about Windows 10:

(Although it still insists on having those hideous live tiles available lol)

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@jumpsuit

Hi Jumpy,

Just got an automated message on my Windows 7 PC to reserve Windows 10 for a free upgrade when available - oh dear, what to do ! :thinking:

Do you (or anyone) know if PlayMemories Home is compatible with Windows 10 for a start, I would hate to lose functionality having GB's of stuff stored on a hard drive which I use with this software.

Regards