Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

Hi all

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone hadn't seen it yet.

It appears Microsoft have thrown in the towel on Windows 8.

(I can hear the 'Yippees' from here lol)

Microsoft say: "Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months."

Have a look Here :slight_smile: 

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hiya :slight_smile:

I'd reserve it anyway, you don't have to install it if you decide its not what you're looking for.

(I must admit I'm a bit entrenched in Windows 7 lol)

As far as I know it should be compatible with Playmemories Home (I haven't seen anything yet that says otherwise)

but I will keep you posted if I find anything more out.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Thanks again Jumpy,

I've had a good read here and it would seem that Microsoft are selling it with confidence - well they would wouldn't they ! I have carried out the Check your PC with the Upgrade Advisor as recommended and it tells me that my PC will work with Windows 10, the only device that will not work will be the Bluetooth functionality but no issues with any of my Apps (I take it this means current software I have installed). Like you say, if I am not confident I do not have to install. I think it may be better to stick with the operating system that was installed by the OEM ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@Jonnie1266 can I just double check if you own a Vaio?

(I get the feeling you don't but just wanted to ask as my machine is non Vaio and we got the notification on the same day.)

For anyone using a Vaio or Sony software / apps I think it would be a  good idea not to upgrade until Sony confirms what should or should not work :wink:

I'm sure I'll probably give it a go on my Advent desktop just for the thrill of it lol

(I don't use Playmemories)

I too reserved my copy yesterday, it was quite a neat little box that popped up.

windows10.jpg

Although I was amazed that Microsoft seemed to know about our ranks on this forum.........

expert.jpg

ROFL Is it time for me to start wearing the tin foil hats again?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi Jumpy,

You are quite right, I do not own a Vaio I have a Dell. I have been in touch with customer support this morning and they agree that Windows 10 operating system will work on my desk top. I should back up all files & settings first of course then let Windows 10 take over from Windows 7. They say this should not affect any software that I am presently running - I see on this forum that many people appear to have issues with PlayMemories Home on Windows 8 whereas I have had no issues, this is why I ask.

You could try wearing a bra on your head ?!? Seen that somewhere before - oh, Weird Science that was it :laughing: 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I believe the reason they gave for sporting those bras were that they were 'ceremonial' lol

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

jumpsuit wrote:

For anyone using a Vaio or Sony software / apps I think it would be a  good idea not to upgrade until Sony confirms what should or should not work :wink:

I agree @jumpsuit I think that is great advice..:smileythumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi, looks like you could both be on the money !

Took this snapshot below from here

SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

• Windows Vista® Service Pack 2 (SP2)
  • Windows® 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
  • Windows® 8 / Windows® 8.1

Windows and the Windows logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

*Your computer must have one of the operating systems listed above preloaded when shipped from the factory.

Sony cannot guarantee correction operation on computers that are upgraded to the above operating systems and those with multi-boot environments.

Even when PlayMemories can support Windows 10 it looks like the OS must be preloaded by the manufacturer of the computer and not an upgrade (like I would be doing) to guarantee correct operation. Looks like I am stuffed ? :cry:

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

All may not be lost :slight_smile:

What OS was installed on the Dell when you received it?

(You're running Windows 7 SP1 at the moment I assume.)

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi,

The Dell was shipped with Windows 7 SP1 - this was a deliberate move on my part to avoid the very near release of Windows 8 at the time, pleased I did !

I suspect that Sony have issued the disclaimer to avoid unscrupulous downloads of pirate versions of Windows etc. etc. which may well not work with PlayMemories properly. I would imagine as this would be a legitimate download there would be no issues ?

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

In theory there shouldn't be :slight_smile: as it states

"SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

• Windows® 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)"

We will still check the PM and Sony info / updates first though.

If the worst comes to the worst I can always give Windows 10 a go before you and load PM

onto it as a guinea pig :yahoo: