Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

Hi all

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone hadn't seen it yet.

It appears Microsoft have thrown in the towel on Windows 8.

(I can hear the 'Yippees' from here lol)

Microsoft say: "Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months."

Have a look Here :slight_smile: 

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@jumpsuit@Fender67

I have the latest info' from Sony here: 

Seems like great news and hopefully will answer my question soon :slight_smile:

PlayMemories online has been tested successfully, just awaiting confirmation for the PlayMemories app which is under evaluation ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@jumpsuit wrote:

Just to reiterate Sony's information about Windows 10 to all Vaio Owners:

Windows 10 information

As announced by Microsoft on June 1, Windows 10 - their latest operating system - is scheduled to launch on July 29.

WARNING: There is a risk of software/driver corruption. We therefore strongly recommend that you do not upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available on July 29.

Sony is now testing Windows 10 and will be providing compatibility information during the summer of 2015. The release schedule will vary according to the different products.

Please wait until the upgrade information is released. Visit our support website regularly for the latest information and updates about this topic.

From This Page.

Reading around the net there are several sites were people have been highlighting problems when upgrading to windows 10 so in my opinion the advice above from Jumpsuit is still the best option..

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

The advice is indeed welcome.

There are several issues emerging when downloading Windows 10, the dreaded blue screen being one of them.

Personally I need to remember why I wanted a Windows 7 operating system in the first place - there is nothing wrong with it ! I have since cancelled my free upgrade as a) I can't be bothered attempting a clean install which is recommended and b) I am sure I would have many head aches that I can well do without.

Wait until you change your PC and it comes with Windows 10 pre-installed is my advice :wink:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Luk-in
Explorer

Hi 

I tried to install new windows to my SVF15N... I had a notice in windows update center... 
And vaio works fine. No bugs, no crashes....yet. 

VAIO.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thats great :slight_smile:

(Although Sony still do not recommend people upgrade just yet.:smileywink:)

I took the plunge with my (non-vaio) Advent pc and had a few scary moments such as a black screen straight after install lol followed by several forced reboots.after the pc wouldn't shut down / restart properly.

The three culprits in my case were Malwarebytes, Comodo firewall and Avira. After attempting to open them they would crash or open but have no window visible. Stopping the processes was hit and miss too. I uninstalled them and then redownloaded. All seems fine with the pc now, no more problems with shut down / reboot. although Avira has no visible window still but is definately running.

mikedc06
New

I have a large screen all-in-one Sony Vaio desktop PC Series L 24" screen. I received the pop-up icon to the right of the bottom tray and reserved my copy of Windows 10. When it arrived I downloaded it but it did not work so I downloaded it again and yet again it did not work. So there is something in the Vaio set up which prevents it from operating. I have no idea what this is.

Mike Claydon