Join now - be part of our community!

windows sidebar does not work!! please help

tnv
Visitor

windows sidebar does not work!! please help

when i try to run windows sidebar in my vaio laptop fz21s, it gives a message saying 'windows sidebar is managed by your system administrator'. whereas i am the only admin in user accounts.
i even uninstalled the preinstalled google sidebar, but still it does not work.
can anyone please help.....

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jonaas
Visitor

i also had the same issue, but managed to solve it.
do this:
press start, choose run, type "regedit", then go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows\Sidebar", right click on "turnoffsidebar", change the 1 to a 0.
done!

Anchel
Visitor

Wow, thank you for your answer. I have been looking for a solution to this for two weeks already.
You know, Sony could very well get sued for this.
They are not allowing direct access to Windows Sidebar so users have to stick with Google Desktop if they want some sort of sidebar. I really think that is shameful.

Now however I'm getting another problem: I cannot install new gadgets. I DO install them, but they just don't appear at all on the gadget list. It's as if installation of new gadgets was also denied for VAIO users...

tnv
Visitor

thanks man.
u rock.
cheers

Melonpretty
Visitor

it dose work! thx!! :slight_smile: :laughing:

jonaas
Visitor

yeah i also think its quite bad , i mean you pay alot of money for these computers, you think that you should be able to at least choose yourself then..
as for the gadgets i do not know, it works fine for me. are you logged in as an administrator?
or maybe it will work if you choose to add gadgets through right-clicking on the sidebar and then choose "add gadgets"?

glad to help by the way =P