Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 Purchased from John Lewis

markied
Visitor

XL201 Purchased from John Lewis

Anyone else purchased an XL-201 and not been able to connect the Wirless Lan Ariel.
I got mine home from the shop, set it all up, tried to connect the aerial, but would not screw on. Faulty thread.
Returned unit to shop and explained. John Lewis kindly swapped it over for another unit. Got home again, exatly the same happened again.
Back to the shop again, after spending two hours in the shop and them opening 5 more units, they finally found one where the aerial would screw on.

Only one other moan about the box, if I am listening to music/tv and I decide to switch the tv off the sound makes some really strange noises for a minute or so, then settles again. When you switch the tv back on exactly the same happens again, sounds like a cd jumping. Any ideas on what could be causing this ? Does the tv send some sort of signal to say Im switching off ?

7 REPLIES 7

I had the same problem with the aerial. Ended up removing part of the thread from the aerial side (ot the Vaio side) and just managed to get it to stay on. but I would not want to take it off again, as it may not go back on again next time. Clearly this is a design fault by the sound of our experiences. Anyone else had the same issue?

One moan from me, I wish the XL201 had TWO HDMI Outlets, or at least 1x HDMI and 1x DVI. We run a Projector and would like to run a 1920x1200 TFT as well for when we don't want to use the Projector.

HDMI Swiches are no good, and HDMI Splitters are expensive. We may try to fit a 2nd Video Card.

Cheers.

markied
Visitor

you having any problems with sound when swiitching the tv off and leaving music playing through an amp ?

Angeleia
Visitor

Anyone else purchased an XL-201 and not been able to connect the Wirless Lan Ariel.
I got mine home from the shop, set it all up, tried to connect the aerial, but would not screw on. Faulty thread.

Yes - exactly the same problem here. I eventually forced it on with some pliers, but it's not really connected very well. Signal strength is very low too - my Xbox 360 and laptop both get a full strength signal from the same location.

I rang Sony tech support to ask if they could ship out another aerial and they said I would have to send the whole unit back. Having spent so long setting it all up, this seems really stupid advice for the sake of a screw thread!

A lesson learned - no more Sony products for me.

markied
Visitor

Sounds like a major design issue with the thread on the aerial. To be honest even when the aerial is connected secure, I find that reception is still poor.

RZebra
Visitor

I too Had Problem connecting the wirless lan ariel,? after several attempts of not being able to screw it in turning it the normal way I screwed it in reverse and it worked, so it seems it has an opposite thread....
hope this helps.. Ray

profile.country.en_GB.title
@7908848805001668
Visitor

No marks to Sony here (and elsewhere, too).

The answer is that the nut has a left hand thread - ie screw it on the wrong way.

Why does Sony use a LH thread though - it's a very unusual practice and is normally inidicated by a mark on the nut - and why no mention of this in the user manual Sony?

Andy R

markied
Visitor

Returned unit to shop and explained. John Lewis kindly swapped it over for another unit. Got home again, exatly the same happened again.
Back to the shop again, after spending two hours in the shop and them opening 5 more units, they finally found one where the aerial would screw on.

Only one other moan about the box, if I am listening to music/tv and I decide to switch the tv off the sound makes some really strange noises for a minute or so, then settles again. When you switch the tv back on exactly the same happens again, sounds like a cd jumping. Any ideas on what could be causing this ? Does the tv send some sort of signal to say Im switching off ?

Id just like to add, we knew it screwed anti-clockwise, these machines had genuine faulty threads