Join now - be part of our community!

Anyone been able to find out if their Xperia Tablet S needs replaced?

profile.country.en_GB.title
skimpychimpy
Visitor

Anyone been able to find out if their Xperia Tablet S needs replaced?

Hi,

I just tried putting in my serial number and product ID number into the checker on the Support site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SGPT121GB_S/news/Xperia_S_series_notice2

But all the page does is refresh when I click Submit. Has anyone had any luck with finiding out if theirs needs replaced? My bezel at the back is definitely bent out of shape (beside the dock cover) but just want to check if it is going to be covered by the program.

Cheers,

Tim

60 REPLIES 60
tramman77
Visitor

Yay!!!!

Finally received tablet back yesterday (left in recycle box by UPS), with a list of changed parts (front cover, rear cover and seal) and a covering letter apologising for the inconvenience and a free gift of a cleaning cloth. I have sent a complaint through the website (two days ago) but still awaiting a reply.

skimpychimpy
Visitor

Good to hear.

I got a text this morning saying it is on its way back with a tracking number which UPS does not recognise, amazing!

A cleaning cloth isnt going to cut it unfortunatly. It has taken the best part of 4 weeks to do what was initially promised to be a 5-7 day turn around. I will be taking this complaint further.

Will let you know if/when I actually get mine back.

PlymouthFlyer
New

Sorry to hear the issues you chaps have had.

Checked on the Sony site, my device is affected so I've arranged for collection on  and will take 10 days apparently. Have noted all the rep told me.

I would like a refund, but will they offer it to me? I know a few chaps here were.

I'd use it on another device, but so far no other has cut it... Will see what they say, nice device, would be great to have JB and perhaps some new features. The Timescape UI on the Xperia T would look great on this!

Message was edited by: PlymouthFlyer

Mashawan
Visitor

Finally, my device is on it's way back.  I sent it in for repair in september!  I tried many times to get a refund, but Sony simply refused.  If you wan't a refund, the key is to ask while you still have the device as you have less rights once the device is being repaired (according to our corporate lawyers).

I hope I get more that a cloth for the months of frustration Sony have caused me!

On the bright side however, things are moving now, so you will probably have a better experience than us from now.

reg6ft3
Explorer

Mine is already on it's way back to me!!! Sony only had my tablet for two days!

Still with no JB this tablet still lags sometimes and their are software issues which need to be addressed.

I think most Android fans will stick to Nexus devices from next year as these updates are unbelievably slow. I know I would!

hungerdunger
New

Well for once I'm writing in praise of Sony!  I wasn't looking forward to sending my Xperia back to them to resolve the splash-proof problem after reading the problems encountered by others.  But as I also had a problem with the headphone socket I decided to go ahead. 

The tablet was picked up by the courier  on Tuesday last week (27/11) and delivered back yesterday (Tuesday 4/12), which I thought was quite impressive, especially as it had to travel to their facility on the far side of France.  While it was away they also updated me by text message twice and by a voicemail message once.

The only problem I had was with their original email to me which told me the courier would be providing a box and if he didn't I was not to give him the tablet.  Well guess what?  He didn't know anything about a box, but I decided to go ahead anyway, and he was good enough to wait while I packed it myself.

PlymouthFlyer
New

I sent my device off on the Monday 26th and has received it back by the 29th, again to France from the UK!

He did indeed have a box for me, UPS.

skimpychimpy
Visitor

Looks like they have the repair procedure al in hand now, obviously were still waiting on parts when they started the recall hence the delay.

Ah well, glad your not having to go through what I did. To Sony's credit they have now sorted the situation out with myself. My faith is slowly returning...

tramman77
Visitor

As mentioned it appears Sony have pulled through and there downfall here was beginning the recall process to early when they didn't have all the parts available, rather than just announcing the fault. Glad everyone is getting sorted so quickly now.

paulell45
Explorer

Well my saga with Sony continues. After eventually receiving my repaired tablet back a wifi issue had not been fixed and there was glue on the casing. I did not, much as I was tempted, test how well the new waterproofing worked by placing it in a bucket of water!

After much discussion with Sony UK, via the Sony UK Chief Executive, Sony refused to offer any compensation in any form for the inconvenience caused. Eventually I received a refund for the tablet although this was incredibly difficult to obtain - remarkable as the tablet was faulty at purchase. They seriously suggested that the tablet should be sent away again for a second attempt at a repair and an electronic payment to my bank accoutn which should have been a same day process took two weeks.

I am now pursuing Sony through the small claims procedure through the UK courts claiming for two days additional holiday I had to take when they failed to deliver a tablet case at the first attempt, and on collecting the tablet for repair did not have the necessary packing materials which meant I had to arrange for a collection on the following working day. Sony appear to have lost interest in the situation again but I imaging once the court action progresses they might become interested as the case is robust and well documented.

I've said before that I won't stop buying Sony products which I won't. I will not buy from Sony direct however as their customer service is beyond appalling. They really need concerted action to take them to account over this and I hope my small part in this will help. I will buy Sony goods from a retailer with their own customer support system and guarantee.

Overall the whole process, even going to the top at Sony UK, has been depressing and I fear for Sony continuing as a major player in the electronics market.