Join now - be part of our community!

NowTV app says device has been modified

SOLVED
OS1111
New

NowTV app says device has been modified

First post so apologies if I get anything wrong.

The nice people over at Sky / NowTV say the reason the NowTV app has stopped working with the message "Your device has been modified" is Sony's issue. Is this true? NowTV was working fine with 4.4 but following the official Sony update to 5.1 it has stopped working with that message. The device has not been "modified" in any other way. NowTV has been updated twice which apparently fixed the issue on some devices so this issue extends beyond Sony. Has anyone else come across this issue? Is there a way around it?

Is there a way of reporting bugs to Sony?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OS1111
New

It was suggested that I use the Mac Xperia Companion and do a repair which I did and it has removed all the offending su and sudaemon type of executables from the device and NowTV is happy again. This rather begs the question how did they get there in the first place?! Also why didn't doing a complete recover on the device itself wipe these files unless the image on the device was already compromised and Xperia Companion installed an uncompromised image.  Anyhow I'm happy now! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@OS1111

Have you unlocked the bootloader or rooted the device?

Also contact their support team

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Android-devices

If you’re having a few issues running the NOW TV app on your Android tablet or mobile, it could be because:

• Your device has been modified or rooted – even if this was done by the manufacturer.
  • You bought your device outside of the UK.
  • It’s a Kindle Fire HD device.
OS1111
New

Hi uliwooly,

Thanks for getting back. The device has net been rooted nor the bootloader unlocked.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@OS1111

how about the second point?

OS1111
New

No I bought it in te UK, but it was second hand. NowTV was working when I installed it on the Android version that the device came with, 4.4 I think. Then Sony pushed and update to 5.1 and NowTV started complaining that the device has been modified. The NowTV guys have had me uninstall and re-install the app, several times! and even do a complete device reset, but NowTV persists in its belief that the device has been modified.

How can I double check that the device has not been rooted or its bootloader unlocked?

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@OS1111

Hard to tell, you will have to contact them directly. 

Are you able to use PCC? 

OS1111
New

The device has been verified as not rooted using checker apps. Can't tell about bootloader though as I can't find any key combination that boots into recovery mode nor does "adb reboot recovery" seem to work. "adb reboot-bootloader" just results in a black screen with the indicator LED glowing a dim blue.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@OS1111

did you purchased this from someone else/second hand/used?

OS1111
New

Hi uliwooly,

It was bought it second hand.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@OS1111

That explains a lot, perhaps the previous user unlocked the bootloader > relocked the bootloader and since the DRM keys are gone, the app doesn't work

you could try this

turn on the bravia engine and brightness 100% 

select a picture > take a screenshot > turn off Bravia Engine > take another screenshot of the same picture > compare them and post them here.