Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 ii could be much better

profile.country.IN.title
Somiran
Explorer

Xperia 1 ii could be much better

Hi Sony,

To start off always have been a Sony fan. I truly believe Sony is one of the truly amazing technologically advanced companies that delivers the best out there. 

Had the pleasure of checking out a review unit in store before pre-orders. Have to say XPERIA 1 II is one of the best designs Sony has come up with in recent times. 

But I want to ask what are you competing against? I know you want to create the best gadget possible without thinking about what anyone else is doing but to a user they will compare and check what else is there in the market before investing over 1000€ on a smartphone. 

Having said that things you have got it right. Amazing 4k display. Please don't change that unless you decide to move to AMOLED screens. Slimmer taller display is much easier to handle than the now increasing wider displays also asthetics are more pleasing with 21:9. Maybe the total brightness could be a little better but honestly no complaints with the display. Amazing software keeping it nice and clean as close to the stock Android version as possible. That's one of the things I love the most about Sony. Coming to the design. It's amazing. Great that you went with a slim camera system instead of the huge ugly looking abominations out there like example s20 ultra. Love the camera shutter button. But ergonomically speaking I feel it would be better if you moved the camera button a little further down. Why? Because I think it produces less shake when taking a picture while pressing the button parallel to the phone instead of perpendicular right now. Just something for you to consider. Thanks for bringing the headphone jack back. Amazing pre-order offer with the wh-1000 I almost bought the phone just to get those headphones. I hope you can come with similar bundles in the future, making it worth the value. 

But few complaints. I truly believe it needs at least a minimum of 5000 mAh battery to begin with for such a beautiful display. For browsing watching movies and easily lasting all day without having to worry about the camera. Then a little bit improvement in the fast charging would be appreciated. If you say it affects the battery life with what the competition does then I would believe you. 

Coming to the camera. Good main camera but could be better. Also Sony produces the best camera sensors in the market so why would you use something as useless as the Samsung sensor in your best phone? Do you not trust yourself? I would have loved it if you would have managed to used your own better Sony sensors for the other two cameras as well. The pictures were good in pro mode but not outshining the competition with normal pictures. I would say you have gone above and beyond with the ability to capture fast moving objects so clearly. But for someone like me who loves to do landscape still photography it doesn't help much. Would love to have a camera where after taking a picture could zoom in a bit still having crispy great details. But right now no one does that. So a bit disappointed there. Ultra-wide and telephoto lenses are equally important. I hope this is something you would consider in the future. Why does something like an iPhone that uses Sony sensors produces Better pictures. I truly hope Sony would beat them.

Considering the price tag competition with s20 ultra which does so many things wrong than right and LG v60 which does so many things right and only failing with a useless screen I would say Sony you are still not quite where you could be. Adding to it one important point from my perspective I love the pro mode and all the manual controls that you give me with the camera. That is exactly what I desire on my future smartphone. So the thing is I don't want RAW neither do I care about RAW because I'm not going to be spending hours on an editing software that provides an image which is not real. So instead what I want from Sony is to be able to help me use all the manual controls available and take the picture as I see with my eyes and presents true reality and beauty of nature. Love to be able to do this with all my lenses as I explained why every one of them are equally important. So love to get a final picture right out of the phone without having to edit anything later. Also to be honest you would agree with your front camera issues I'm sure if you are being honest. 

I just keep wishing someone would come up with a perfect smartphone and if someone could do it I believe it's you. So I hope you'll add the best hardware still and make it perfect, I don't mind buying a 1400€ phone if everything was perfect so please don't cut corners with camera or battery or any other stuff. Or cut corners and reduce the price to be the best in the lower price bracket. This just feels like you are caught between two positions. Being really good but not great. When there's so much money on the line and people are looking to spend 3-4 years with their phones using to share and capture their personal moments. Also choosing to spend their leisure time with multimedia viewing on your phone I'm sure you would want to go that extra mile for them. 

Over the last 15 years I have used Motorola, Samsung, Sony , OnePlus and without any hesitation I can say the best phone with the most beautiful design that I have ever used was Sony Xperia Z1. Please bring back the good old days and provide some good value for money then I'm sure everyone will be able to trust Sony more and become a fan like me. 

Giving a pass on the Xperia 1 ii but hopefully it'll be better next year.  Colour suggesion I have this blue gold limited edition PS4 which I absolutely adore and looks stunning. So ignoring the gold could you try to get that amazing blue to the Xperia as well. Also the purple with a darker hue would be so much better. But then those are just my personal preferences. 

I also read some reviews about people complaining about not having your default gallery app. You had it in the past and it was so good why would you remove it. Just keep the things that are perfect and build on them I'm sure you'll achieve the top spot again. 

Thanks for bringing in so many wonderful gadgets over the years in our lives Sony. 

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

1: Sony will NEVER use AMOLED as that is SAMSUNG'S versions of OLED, so why would sony DOWNGRADE their screen for the flagships?

2: Camera button is perfect where it is, if you are experiencing camera shake then you arent holding the phone correctly. When taking a photo simply tuck your elbows into your solar plexus so you can form a 'tripod ' off sorts ' and slowly press the shutter release button half way to focus and then push all the way. I get perfect shots every time on my xperia 1 mk1.

3: Science has proved faster charging more heat more heat faster degradation of battery capacity.

4:) 4k battery is enough the ram management along with battery capability makes this phone equivalent to a 4500mah on other phones.5

5:) You are HALF right here, Samsung is NOT for the main sensor that is a sony one imx577, however the TELEPHOTO and the front camera are spamsungs. Please be more clear in your information.

6:) Sadly to say if you are having problems in getting great photos in pro mode, then perhaps you might be best looking at your technique? If i can get fantastic shots on the Mark1 then you should be able to on the mark 2

7:) If you wanted to use the normal camera app all the time then frankly you should have purchased a s/h mark 1, the mark II is for the more creative types

8:) Total Brightness is fine, if you follow this simple and easy tip.

You have leveled these critiques  at the mark ii, but not got one yourself?

Please relook on your information. THERE ARE TWO Samdung sensors on the mark II. One telephoto and one on the front.

My view is that the used those Spamsung sensors is either in an effort to reduce cost, or sony doesn't have a telephoto sensor yet for mobile.

In my view these kind of posts always start with 'I am a sony fan but....''''''.......

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

"Sony produces the best camera sensors in the market so why would you use something as useless as the Samsung sensor in your best phone? Do you not trust yourself? I would have loved it if you would have managed to used your own better Sony sensors for the other two cameras as well. "

Not valued as much in the context of this phone selfie as good elsewhere for sure. Zoom the lenses are two small the spot resolution to big for the larger sensor pixels size and it keeps the cost down by using them which is tied into your earlier comment on cost.

"The pictures were good in pro mode but not outshining the competition with normal pictures"

That's because they are all probably using a SONY sensor. There's more to come here....

"Ultra-wide and telephoto lenses are equally important. I hope this is something you would consider in the future".

It has 16mm and 70mm what's your definition of ultra wide and telephoto on a smartphone? Sounds like you should buy a DSLR.

"Why does something like an iPhone that uses Sony sensors produces Better pictures. I truly hope Sony would beat them." 

They have if you look at the specs of the sensor you will see how! Out of the box its post processing on the iPhone. I do my post processing in photoshop from a well balanced RAW. RAW support isn't on the phone (yet) but when it is I am sure the sensor in the 1 mkII will pull out ahead of the competition. For me this is wear the value is. On spec and a few previews alone I bought one and am selling my D600 plus 80mm and 24mm lens. I 'm keeping the 50mm f1.2 I have for another camera that lens is too good. That's nearly half the cost of the phone coupled with the pre ordered offer which I will also pass on that's more than half the cost of the phone. For me I am laughing I got it for a bargain.

This phone covers those two lengths and its 16mm and 24mm are actually really good given the focusing that's built into the phone I am getting sharp focusing in photos in difficult shooting environments with JPG's. Having it in my pocket for outdoors makes it a very strong camera phone to be caring around in your pocket. But there are clearly better point and shoot cameraphones. So by definition its a CAMERAphone and its shaping up to be a great one. Looking forward to the next couple of months once the dust settles. For me these are its strong points if the PRO apps get updates and features which I am sure they will then it will surely turn out to be a winner.

Did you buy the phone?

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

It looks like he did not

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I've got mine, and I guess the OP is just trolling..

It's the Xperia 1, with a boost, and it's a lovely phone.-

Emulators run even better, it's a wee bit faster than the 1, and with adaptive brightness on, you CAN see in direct sunlight, and I'll say you can see clearer than an S20, and that's from comparing the 2 side by side.

Now, all my data has been transfered and my apps, I'll be starting to play with the cameras, but so far, I can't say I regret my swap..well, that and o2 for some reason decided to pay off my old handset, and give me the upgrade for less per month than I was paying, it would be rude not to.! 

profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

That's nice if them. They let me upgrade early maybe I should check account....

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

nice one

Would you be so kind as to test 4k hdr video stabilisation please?

profile.country.GB.title
GrumpyCyborg

There are plenty of videos on youtube that look at this and show the results. I couldn't offer an more insight here.

Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
ryan__

I just switched from Samsung to Xperia 1 II. 4K screen with wired audio out for a mini cinema experience was great for watching The Mandalorian. I use XM2 headphones all the time and audio is much better than any Samsung device I've used. Battery life lasts a day for me (better than S20 Exynos) and I'm fine with that.

Front camera skin smoothing is my only complaint, but think it's a software issue that can be fixed in an update. Back cameras are good. I think the creators of the phone had in mind it could be a companion to Sony alpha cameras for people looking for a larger sensor and special types of photography.

Caruso59
Explorer

Just bought the new Xperia 1 ii 

Have my Xperia XZ Premium witch I love, but starting to restart and freeze.

I find Sonys new ways to get manuals and support confusing. 

Why the heck do we need community support, when the best answers come from the people creating the phone. 

As I gather from a lot of tha answers below, the "fanclub" is turning into an Apple fan group.

Seriously. 

Give us easy ways to communicate with the real support. 

Have not been able to start up my phone yet, but since we bought 2 new phones of the same, we already experienced installing problems and lack of manuals already. 

Sony is the best phones there is, but don't cheapnout on support and accessories! The protection cover is not even available yet on Sony... Only on Amazon, Alibaba and Wish... Why, are you ashamed of your product. 

Also never available in the stores in Sweden 🇸🇪... Why?