Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to clear phone notifications

SOLVED
CJ76
Visitor

Unable to clear phone notifications

My phone (Xperia 5)  notifications are turned on all times. I am unable to clear it. Doesn't affect the performance but a bit annoying. I have restarted the phone and turned the notifications off and on but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. 

71 REPLIES 71
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

@Ryan131 wrote:

This is the best thing to put people off sony, such a small thing yet so annoying.. really shows the quality of these new Sony phones.. utter

I keep saying this, but this ia a Google dialer issue/Android Notification issue, it happens across several different manufacturers, and different Android versions.

Google it, it's not hard to do, issues with call notfication bubbles, messages bubble not clearing etc, and you will see.

It's not really anything to do with Sony, but if they do get to the bottom of it, I'm sure they would more than likely alter something in the background.

Jonas
Master

@Ryan131, I understand the frustration, but keep in mind that this is the Google phone application, not our own that we have in most of our previous models.

It's currently under investigation and I hope that there will be a fix very soon.

@RottenFoxBreath, yeah, that is the down side of not using your own applications, you'll need to wait for someone else to fix it (at least my understanding is that this is not Sony specific with the Google phone app).

As far as I understand, the connection between Google and Sony is very good though as Sony has been involved in several Android betas, offering LDAC to everyone with Android Oreo and later, and so forth.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Yeah, exactly, and as it is an itermittent fault/bug, it can and will be harder to track and fix.

Mind you, it's been a couple of years in the happening, hopefully soon though.

Bigyolk
Visitor

So I contacted Google about this problem a month ago when I purchased y new Xperia 5. Google replied and told me that this problem was nothing to do with their phone app and the problem was a software problem with my phone. I then had to take my phone back to the carphone warehouse where I purchased it and told them about it. They replaced the phone with a brand new phone which done exactly the same. As soon as I had a missed call I could not clear the notification badge. I managed to get in contact with Google again to tell them it is a problem with the Google phone app as it's a new phone but the representative would not have it and was rather quite rude in telling me it's not a problem with their app but yet another software problem with my new replacement phone. I have now come across this forum and found out that it's not just my phone and in actual fact it is absolutely the Google phone app that is the problem. I have since downloaded an apk download of Sony's own Xperia dialer that they always used on their older phones and I'm having no issues whatsoever now. Get it sorted Google. I cannot express how annoyed I am at Google for their awful customer service and the way they did not want to help me or even listen to me when I spoke to them both times about this. They wanted nothing to do with it. 

BabyBum
Visitor

I have the new Sony Xperia 5 mobile the phone symbol shows 3 missed call but it's all cleared but it still shows 3 missed calls i have tried restarting the phone and it's still there can anyone please help as i don't have 3 missed calls 

Jonas
Master

@Bigyolk, very sorry to hear about all the trouble you went through to try and fix this. Slightly_frowning_Face

I don't have a Pixel device myself and those devices + some of ours are the only ones that I know is using the Google phone app. I don't know if it occurs on Google's own devices or not, so I can't say 100% that it's their fault. If it does not, that would explain the answers you received from Google and it's only affecting the Xperia devices with this specific application.

I see that you have found a solution by installing our old application but I will of course keep you posted on a permanent solution for the Google phone application as well!

I prefer using that one due to the spam filter and so forth, not sure how you feel about how the application works versus our "old" one and if you prefer that one, or the Google application.

@BabyBum, I have merged your post to this thread so you have an easier time keeping updated with the latest status.

This is currently under investigation and will hopefully be fixed very soon. You can find some additional information on the link below (my original post).

/t5/Xperia-5/Unable-to-clear-phone-notifications/m-p/1393969#M402

I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Bigyolk
Visitor

I don't have a Google pixel. I have a Sony Xperia 5 but I'm referring to the Google phone dialer app on my Xperia 5. I have now found yet another problem with my Xperia 5 a few days ago with the messages app on my Xperia 5. Since the messages app has updated I can only see numbers instead of contacts in my messages. I see this is also a Google app. I have uninstalled the updates for the text messages app and it has sorted it and I see the names of my contacts. I've always bought Sony phones going all the way back to the original Sony Ericssons but the trouble I've had this time has really really annoyed me so much that I may actually move to another brand which is a shame because I have been a very loyal customer to Sony for decades. Everything I own and have bought from my televisions, stereo's, playstation 1, PS2, ps3 and PS4. Quite literally every single phone I've owned has been a Sony and I have never ever had any kind of trouble with any of them until the Xperia 5 and the truly awful phone dialer app that comes with it that's made by Google and now to top it off the text messaging app that it comes with that is also made by Google is now messing up to. I just can't believe the trouble I am having with this brand new phone. It has really put me off ever buying another. The fact I've waited over a month and a half for a fix and we're still waiting is just ridiculous. Sony will have lost so many customers due to this considering I am such a loyal Sony customer and I am even going away from them after all this trouble. The fact that it's taking this long to fix it is telling me that they don't even care. 

78simon
Visitor

Hi all

Got me a Xperia 5 but can not get rid of the number of missed calls from the little phone symbol where they show from? I'm almost positive I've tried everything to do so. Am I missing something or it a software issue? 

Pi_Thian
Visitor

The Notification drop down clear trick work for me. Thanks

Jonas
Master

@Bigyolk,

I know you have an Xperia 5, no worries! Slightly_smiling_Face

What I tried to explain is that since Google said they weren't aware of this, it could very well be that it does not occur on the Pixel devices that has the same application. That would explain the answer you received from them. I can't confirm this though as I don't have access to another device with the Google Phone app that isn't an Xperia 1 or Xperia 5.

Regarding the Messaging application, can you try and update it again and once you have updated it, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all xx apps > Messages > Storage > Clear data > OK. This will not delete any messages, it will only reset the application data.

I understand it's very annoying having the number on the phone application and I'm doing everything in my power to assist the investigation.

@78simon, I have moved your post to this thread so you can easily see the latest status.

At the moment this is being investigated and I'll let you know when I know more about when a fix will be released.

@Pi_Thian, that is good news and hopefully it will be fixed soon so you don't need to use a work around to delete it.

I'm a bit afraid to include this in my original message as the app can receive a new update where this also stops working.

Thank you for confirming that it still works though!