Join now - be part of our community!

24-105 on A7 is too heavy ??

profile.country.CZ.title
sublo12

24-105 on A7 is too heavy ??

Hi everyone,

I am using my 24-105 with A7 mainly on tripod (camera body is mounted on tripod ... not the lens). I feel that the lens is quite heavy for the camera to hold it ... and I start to notice some wobbly mini gap between the lens and body. Unfortunately there is no Sony original tripon mount lens collar ring to buy.

Does anyone have the same issue ... any solution or suggestion for any collar ring which would fit to 24-105 ? ... please suggest.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @sublo12, welcome to the Community.

At 660g it's not an especially heavy lens, although I can see why you might be concerned at the imbalance on the relatively light A7 body. I wouldn't worry too much about 'play' between lens and body, which is perfectly normal. In my experience there is a need for a relatively meaty tripod with lenses of this size, but I would doubt there is a suitable lens collar available, simply because the compact shape leaves very little room for one.

Could be a case of perseverance! 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.CZ.title
sublo12

Hi Mick,

thank you for your reply ... from the mecanical engineering (I am mech.eng. by profession) point of view, the body-lens weight inbalance makes me feel uncomfortable ... especially when I shoot timelapse (30-45 min shooting session is nothing exceptional).

OK ... I think I have to get used to it.

Cheers,

sublo

profile.country.GB.title
ShakeyBluesman

Hi,

I seem to remember that Sony had a problem regarding the weak lens mount on the a7. Although Sony didn't admit to this they made significant improvement from a7ii onwards. Don't know if this was also the case on the a7r or the a7s