Join now - be part of our community!

Small dust spec in SEL50F18 NEX lens

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
amit_jain_14
New

Small dust spec in SEL50F18 NEX lens

hello all,

finally managed to get my hands on the nex 50mm 1.8 for my nex 5. All is good except there is a small dust spec behind the front element.

I can live with it i guess but woul prefer if sony would replace the lens. Tried calling them on their support no. in my 15 min break at work and got through a guy who told me that the lens would need to be repaired. I asked how would he feel if had a new lens and if he was told to send it for repair on the first day. he then put me hold to speak to sales to confirm my order. after 10 mins i gave up and have to go back to work.

as soon as i went back at work, i had a missed call on both my mobile phones which i couldnt answer but no one bother to leave a voicemail. so not impressed with customer services but surely i should be able to return within distance selling regulations and order another one. i was just hoping sony would be more logical with it and just send me a replacement but its the same old call centre story with big companies.

any suggestions peeps?

Message was edited by: amit_jain_14

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
amit_jain_14
New

Got the Lens this morning after posting the other one myself. This one had a special white sticker on top of the Sony Seal for some reason. I double checked the serial no. just in case they sent the same one back.

It is definitely different though have to say it does a much smaller spec than the last one and is only visible in direct light source. I don't think I will bother complaining about this one after the whole saga.

There are a few lessons to be learnt here for me:

1. Try to buy Sony products from anywhere other than Sony website.

2. Sony has lost some of my goodwill and I will be looking to switch from NEX platform if something similar and better came along.

I will though thank the Customer Service Manager who after my last call, kept me up to date with the proceedings and left me voicemails to confirm the dispatch of the replacement etc.

So Sony I will give you another chance and not yet get rid of all things Sony in my life but will prefer a better service next time.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
amit_jain_14
New

called again on my lunch and this time the guy didnt even bother to take any of my details and just told me to call the sales team and that they will arrange a replacement. i requested to be transfered and apparently they cant do that

so called again to sales and i have been told i will get an email tomorrow arranging the collection on friday and once rcvd back they will send me the replacement.

i have my doubts of this happening and am so tempted just to return and re order but then i will be paying the return costs which i should not!

why cant the companies keep things simple??

amit_jain_14
New

waited for the rma no. and called again today only to be told that the person did not completed the details properly and that he will do it now and hopefully will get the rma and collections details soon

come on sony, you can do better than this!

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello amit_iain_14 :slight_smile:

I have noticed that this forum thread has been escalated to customer services at Sony and so they will now be aware of your comments here. I hope you have some good news on Monday.

Thanks,

Simon

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again.

As a Photography Superuser, I can see that your post has been highlighted for further attention. Other than that, the precise details are not available to me.

Like you say, see what happens on Monday. Anything that you have added to this thread since your original message will also be visible to customer service.

Thanks,

Simon

amit_jain_14
New

Its Monday and no emails from courier but I am still hoping someone will come and pick it up. Last email from Jonathan, Customer services Manager, confirmed the collection on 2nd July, so even though I am tempted to call and confirm but I will take their word for it this time and wait.

amit_jain_14
New

Got a callback later in the evening from a manager saying that the collection cannot be done tomorrow and now I will have to wait till Monday!

He was more helpful but the whole situation is a mess. Cause people can't do the job properly, I am now out of my pocket for all these call from my mobile phone.

No reply on this thread either. Last time I had a similar problem I had to email the then CEO of Sony and had a reply from him and he handed my case to his MD Escalation Officer and he sorted everything out personally.

I don't want to go through that route again cause its not their job and the people paid on the phones should get it right the first time.

And by the way another shortcoming from Sony Logistics system as admitted by one of the guys on the phones is that when you order something and you put down the complete address, the courier system only picks the first line of your address as I mentioned Basement Flat twice in my address. One in the Second Line and once in the Instructions and still the parcel never had the Basement Flat mentioned. Its good that it was delivered to my Landlord upstairs but surely this should not be acceptable but apparently no one cares.

I will wait till Monday and any more problems, I think I might have to email again. (sigh...)

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited the post to protect the privacy of Sony staff

amit_jain_14
New

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that information. Can you let me know how do you check if it has been escalated to cust srvcs?

Anyway, its Friday and I haven't had any emails from courier that it will be picked up on Monday. I am hoping I get some correspondence on Monday morning to confirm the collection.

Also if anyone from Sony is reading this, I would like some feedback on the courier label glitch where its not placing the second line of you address on the parcel label or the instructions field. Lucky I put Basement Flat in the second line (for some reason I had some intution that something will go wrong, call it divine!) as ususally Basement Flat is my first line. If I had done that the parcel would have gone nowhere!!

I would email about this anyway as management needs to know about it. Its a small thing but I am sure will make Sony's life a bit easier, think of amount of calls from angry customers missing their parcels cause of incomplete address.

Anyway, I have now lost nearly £10 on the phone calls already in the whole ordeal and didn't want to call anymore and loose more money on being put on hold. God forbid if I had a more complex case rather than a simple replacement. I will wait till Monday and see what happens.....

Message was edited by: amit_jain_14

Edited post to protect Sony staff privacy

amit_jain_14
New

No Courier yet and got another email from from Customer information Center asking for order no. I have best explained the proceedings and that I am waiting for the replacement and the old one to be picked up.

Edited post to protect the privacy of Sony staff

-Cass-
Explorer

Hey amit_jan_14

Have you heard from customer services yet? Or the courier? If you haven't the best option is to contact customer services directly on 08705 111 999, they'll be able to update you on your order.

Hope you receive your order soon.

Regards,

Cass

Forum moderator