Join now - be part of our community!

Time Lapse Application - compatible lenses

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
StevieJoFraser
Explorer

Time Lapse Application - compatible lenses

Hi, 

Thanks up front. I would like to know what type of e-mount lens is needed in order for there to be no black vingette circular border around my alpha 7 II viewfinder? I can zoom in past in normal mode but zoom is unavailable in Time Lapse app video function. What type/size of lens will give me no black border and is good for landscape/timelapse video scenes? 

Thanks again

Beginner 

Stephen 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi StevieJoFraser and welcome.

Here is a full list of Sony E-Mount lenses.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/lenses/t/camera-lenses

Your alpha 7 needs a 'Full Frame Format' lens like the ones starting FE****. Lenses starting E**** are not suitable as they are designed for the smaller APS-C Sensor.

I can't be sure but it sounds like you are using an incompatible APS-C lens.which was not supplied with the camera.

The most suitable lens for you for landscape use will depend on what you are trying to photograph and how wide an angle of view you want. Probably something from 30mm to 50mm will be OK but if I were you, I would take your camera into store and try a few out before buying. If you are takin time-lapse of the night sky, you may need something wider than 30mm.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Stevie,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with Support here for further advice on a suitable lens.

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi StevieJoFraser and welcome.

Here is a full list of Sony E-Mount lenses.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/lenses/t/camera-lenses

Your alpha 7 needs a 'Full Frame Format' lens like the ones starting FE****. Lenses starting E**** are not suitable as they are designed for the smaller APS-C Sensor.

I can't be sure but it sounds like you are using an incompatible APS-C lens.which was not supplied with the camera.

The most suitable lens for you for landscape use will depend on what you are trying to photograph and how wide an angle of view you want. Probably something from 30mm to 50mm will be OK but if I were you, I would take your camera into store and try a few out before buying. If you are takin time-lapse of the night sky, you may need something wider than 30mm.

profile.country.GB.title
StevieJoFraser
Explorer

Hi there

Thanks a lot, this was this most comprehensive answer I have recieved even from the Sony phone support ( twice )! lol

I will examine what you what you shared with me and it sounds exactly right to me, the budget first lens I bought was a 7 artisans 25mm f1.8 lens, this is the one with the black frame. 

I will let you know how I get on finding my time lapse lens. 

All the best

Stephen, Stonehaven, Scotland

profile.country.GB.title
StevieJoFraser
Explorer

Hello

Thank you for that, I am pursuing multiple avenues and have recieved some valuable insight from the forum recently. 

All the best

Stephen