Join now - be part of our community!

When are third party FE-lenses coming?

mariuswm

When are third party FE-lenses coming?

I love my A7 with the Zeiss 35mm.

But I wish there was more full frame optics available. Perhaps a bit cheaper too.

Are Sigma and Tamron launching any FE-optics within the near future soon?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Sonyalpharumors presented a roadmap the 4th of Desember , they claimed that zeiss would

launch several manual focus lenses with electronical support (probably expensive)

Ther were also mentioned  several other zeiss and Sony lenses.

Samyang are going to launch five lenses but these are originally designed for DSLR  so they are bigger and

heavier than if they had been designed as FE lenses from the start.

The Samyang lenses are :

14 mm f 2.8

24 mm f 1.4

24 mm f 3.5 tilt shift

35 mm f 1.4

85 mm f 1.4

Voigtlander and Sigma was also mentioned as possible producers of proper designed FE lenses.

Prices and launch dates was not mentioned , lets hope for the best.

I'm sure that 2014 is going to be an excitng year , and expencive too  -  the 24-70 zeiss is already pre ordered.

But personally i also wish for a bright 21mm and a 75 or 100mm macro.

I almost forgot - i'm also very satisfied with the a7 / 35mm  combo.

mariuswm

I think Samyang is out of the picture for me. I want dedicated FE-optics. Not just converted old lenses.

How long does it usually take before we hear from Sigma on these matters?

I am hoping for a 10-20 FE with F2.8 or max f.4. Or just fixed focal length at 10mm.

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

How long this will take ? It's not easy to predict.

Anyway the article can be found on : Sonyalpharumors.com  ,

There you can search for : roadmap and the article fom 4th of december

posted in news  tells about what FE lenses to come.

Samyang is out of the picture for me too , i will see what Zeiss ,Voigtlander and Sigma

comes up with before i can decide anything.

By the way i also on the Sonyalpharumors site read about a new lens called Mitakon,

it's a 50mm f /0,95  built as a FE lens , probably announced mid 2014 , prize unknown.

mariuswm

Im sorry but is Voigtlander a third party manufacturer of lenses? Can we expect them to make lenses for Sony?

And you also have Tamron, which I´ve seen more and more lenses from over the last couple of years.

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Voigtlander already makes lenses for other  manufacturers.

MFT lenses   (Olympus,Panasonic) :

Nokton 17,5mm f/0,95 ASPH

Nokton  25mm f/0,95

Nokton 42,5mm f/0,95

SL II lenses for Nikon  (Ai-S mount) and Canon (EOS)

Color Skopar SL II 28mm f/2,8

APO-Lanthar SL II 90mm f/3,5

Color Skopar SL II 20mm f/3.5

Ultron SL II 40mm  f/2,0

Nokton SL II 58mm f/1,4 -Nikon only

Information about the lenses on the Voigtlander homepage: www.voigtlander.com

So maybe as mentioned on the Sonyalpharumors site they can make some FE lenses as well.

After all they are far more affordablle than Zeiss.

mariuswm

Anyone from Sony engineering here? I wish Sony would announce their upcoming lenses in the FE range for the near future. I´d much rather have a 16-50mm than a 24-70mm standard zoom.
profile.country.AT.title
on_caffein

I would like to have a 16-35mm f2.8 and an 21mm f1.8

mariuswm

Disappointed to see Zeiss presenting new 12mm wide angles on CES but not with FE mount.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

From heading over for Sony's 2014 presentation evening, there are a few lenses on the cards and they are planning to continue being released for some time. I will try and gather more info on this.

As for third parties, it all depends on how interested they are. Realistically the FE market is still quite small considering it is a new product and it will never sell as many compared to the E mount products so for them its a bigger cost to develop and manufacture so most likely they would be looking into the feasibility area first. I highly doubt with the market being that competive that they will want to miss up on quite a unique opportunity, I just cannot see someone like Sigma releasing anything just yet.

My concern is more over cost since if you look at full frame compatible lenses from other brands, they are not cheap so just because its a smaller body, I am unsure how small the price tags are going to be.