Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Rush8080
Explorer

Hi

is there any way I can use youview without an aerial for catchup and on demand service. As I don't have an aerial every time I try to enable youview it goes up to scanning then says no services found then returns to TVs home screen. TV is connected to internet via Ethernet with speed up to 150 Mbps. 

Heckie

I agree that it is stupid because all other TVs allow you to plug in a hard drive and pause, rewind and record live TV.

I had a LG WebOS TV that I sold to get my Sony, and it worked flawlessly in this regard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To implement encrytion on external devices, this would have to be implemented via hardware, as a software solution would hammer the processing power of the tv.  Upon saying that, when Sony implement its HDD recording, the HDD would need to be encrypted anyway, in accordace of the DBook standards set in the UK.

rdlowry

Somebody on the AvForums thread had the same issue with the on demand apps. It seems tuning some channels is a requirement. They managed to tune a couple of channels with a portable aerial and the then the apps opened fine even after the aerial was removed. Not ideal but it seems to be the only current work around.
Heckie

TBH I am perfectly happy with the new EPG.

If I miss a programme I can get it on demand, on Netflix with Unlocator, or through Kodi.

I dont see the point in recording stuff and keeping it for watching again later when it can easily be streamed if needs be - I understand some people like to - thats just my personal preference.

danielbeyzade

Most mobile processors have dedicated encryption support inside of them already. Android devices can have full device encryption on storage.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Yes I am really upset that I bought a TV advertised to have Youview AND HDD recording. Not only did they not work when delivered I only recently found out that I can't have both when they are available.

I don't wish to record anything from on demand (via youview) just live and future TV, as I could on my 5 year old TV from another manufacturer. If they have issues with YouView authorites then they should have made this clear at point of purchase. If necessary sony should write an app which will allow recording independant of the YouView guide. Sony have messed up big time with the implementation of the facilities.

If Sony cant be trusted to avertise correctly we should bring these shortfalls to the attention of the public independantly.

It's very much like buying a car and being told that you cant use the headlights at the same time as the heater. They didn't need to tell me that I can use both concurrently, it is a reasonable assumption. And I believe this is how trading standards would see the HDD / Youview fiasco.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
danielbeyzade

Froger38 - Email your complaint to cro.en (at) eu.sony.com (this is the CEO office)

Let's create a standard mail for people to send for this particular complaint. I would suggest the following Subject: YouView in combination with other services, not as described

Dear Sony, This complaint is from (insert name).

I and the community feel let down so we are combining our efforts together to let you know. This TV was advertised as having YouView, Satellite Tuner, HDD Recording and Dual Tuner. It now transpires that this is not possible and when YouView is enabled Satellite Tuner, HDD Recording and Dual Tuner is disabled.

This only become apparent very recently with a small disclaimer on your website. When the unit was purchased this information was not available. I ask you to either implement the features as was originally described, or offer compensation because the product is not as described. Many of us have been waiting a long time for the YouView update and are now very disappointed that this situation has become apparent.

Kind Regards (insert name)

profile.country.GB.title
fether
Explorer

hi guys is there any way to turn updates off ??? as i dont not need or wont the youview update

regards

fether

rdlowry

Good idea. You might want to include the model number in your email. E.g. "I'm the owner of a KDL-43W755C" etc.