Join now - be part of our community!

4K Smart TV with 100mbps ethernet?

4K Smart TV with 100mbps ethernet?

I may be missing something here, but... I've just bought a 4K OLED "Smart" TV, however I can't stream anything in 4k. I have the network speed to support it, but the wifi is too unstable (but fast enough) and the ethernet is too slow. Analiti shows that on Wifi I get about 160mbps and on Ethernet only about 20 (it's a gigabit switch with cat6 cable)

Does anyone know why this is so bad or if there's a workaround? 

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are making philosophy here. You are right UHD bluray "[...] specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50 GB at 82 Mbit/s, 66 GB at 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB at 128 Mbit/s [...]" but these are the MAXIMUM rate allowed by the standard and AFAIK most of blurays are encoded between 30 and 50 Mbit/s and there is no available movie on a triple layer medium. But maybe I'm wrong and you bought one that has that kind of quality... so which is your complain? That Sony doesn't recognize that you spent a quite huge amount of your money to buy the bluray but you don't want to raise from your couch and use a bluray player and don't want to spend some few other money in order to buy a dedicated media player like any cinephile I knew and don't want to compress a little bit the content just to make use of the NAS and network in a more efficient manner ? Not even LG that feeds their product with a lot of useful/less useful features (HDMI2.1,VRR,ALLM,Freesync,Gsync) bother to add a gigabit NIC on their TVs....

PS I didn't make any assumption that you were doing something illegal, I trust you have the original media and we are discussing about technical options. Nothing personal.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Usb lan adaptors don't work.  The drivers arent included.  I've tried one with a chipset that is android compatible with no joy.  If you have good WiFi then you could try that as speeds will be higher and therefore might work for a high bit rate file 

profile.country.GB.title
tombarry_1212
Explorer

Hi just to those like me who've had this problem of YouTube 4k buffering on ethernet 100mbps

Not knowing what to do or how to solve this, I Checked for firmware update but did not need it so -After a reset to Factory settings and a reset to my router after that most Sony TV, internet settings were set to default, resigned into YouTube, takes longer confirming email through google with a code and smart phone 2-Step Verification, after that tried a video and it played in 4k no problem or 1080,720 there was no buffering I may of missed some settings in setup but can't remember what if any was significant and I'm not sure if any of this really had any effect

or where the problem lay

all I know its working Hope this helps

Ms "rooobb", you are a stupid person. Instead of trying to understand the problem even after repeated attempts, you've gone into the legal/non-lethal debate and offer it as a justification for TV manufacturer(s) offering only fast ethernet instead of Gigabit. And, on the way you make up a lot of assumptions (so I also "assumed", and referred you as "Ms.").

* Is it not possible to make 4k video ourself with higher bitrate?

* How often do we achieve theoretical speed limits in real world scenarios.

* Ubiquitous Gigabit ethernet component is only pennies in large volume.

I'm confident that this can't get into your closed head, so spare yourself the pain and don't even try.

For others - TV manufacturers should not skimp on putting a Gigabit ethernet port in their fancy 4k TVs. 4k video can demand good bandwidth and Gigabit is the way to go.

profile.country.GB.title
Newtothis

Have to agree, there is no bases for for your assumptions. 

I am a photographer and offer video in addition to photos at weddings. I use very high bitrate video and I am unable to watch raw footage via lan. For something which is so cheap it is ridiculous that they would skimp. Shame on Sony and some other manufacturers. Some of us are after more than the limited quality that streaming sites offer. The TV advert does not say "Lan only suitable for online streaming".  

You should not assume everyone who is after high bandwidth is a thieve and watching pirated movies. I think this says alot more about you, than us. I'd hate to know you in person, as you assume the worst in everyone without knowing the facts.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@createedoody is forbidden to insult any other person in any community. I won't answer to this but go imaging.

Buy yourself any other TV with a gigabit card

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Newtothis the same apply to you photographer

profile.country.GB.title
tombarry_1212
Explorer

This is not the place for insults as I get updates on my mobile it appears to be directed at me or others on this community too so I will unsubscribe to this forum now ☹️

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
emantecon
Explorer

@rooobb I understand that the " createedoody" & others insult you (but I do not share that position)
Why not recognize that your opinion is wrong?
SONY is wrong without implemented an 1Gb ethernet adapter in all of 4K Smart TVs and please don't try of justify anymore your position.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@emantecon I never said that I wouldn't like to have a gigabit card on my own TV. I just said that no TV has it (I own also a 2020 LG CX and 2019 Panasonic GZ) and that for most use is enough. That's it.