Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jack32467

Officially I cannot confirm and hence the words of "coming soon" still applies.  However FlatpanelsHD received some information that was not intended for them, but that cannot be helped now. 

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

@djmickey83

You´re right. Actually I use an old-school satellite equipment as well (with not less than four coax-cables!), but received by a server with TvHeadend backend and then distributed via Wifi and LAN to every TV in the house. We are then using Kodi for watching the TV-channels at the TVs, mobiles, pads or computers as we like for the moment.

Of course the majority of people still using DVB-X for watching TV, what I wanted to say (in a bit provocating way...) is just that the development goes in another direction, doing the software-part of the TV more and more important due to all play-services and other streaming. In my opinion Sony haven't really managed this in a satisfactory way. For example I think the home screen should always be the start when power on the TV, and also the problems with sound compatibility for passthrough makes this Sony Android TVs very difficult to use with streaming within the Android-section if you are connected to an external sound system. The CPU "is not much to put in the christmas three" either, to use an old swedish expression(!), it was outdated allready when the 2016 (and maybe even the 2015?)-series was introduced to the market.

We also have the TV inbuilt DVB-T2 part connected, it is great when grandma visit us for babysitting, then she can handle the TV as well (free to air-channels) :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

Actually happening, how exciting. I'm a bit worried by the "it also includes new features such as external USB storage, "  Haven't we had that since last year? or do they mean storage of apps on the drive, if that's the case can it share the same drive as the films etc? Just something else to worry about.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Will_cain

Its actually expandable storage.  This is from (which is for Nvidia Shield - but works much the same): https://androidtv.news/2016/02/hands-on-with-marshmallow-for-nvidia-shield-tv/

Sequence 010

Being able to adopt external storage will likely be the best feature of the Shield. If you were cheap and got the 16GB version, you may have noticed how quickly it fills up with HD video and games. NVIDIA future proofed their TV with an SD card port and USB ports. Now, if you insert one, you’ll be asked if you want to use that device as internal storage. If so, Android treats that expandable storage exactly like internal storage. Apps will go to the new storage location, as will media that you download. Performance depends on the storage device itself, but should be able to read and write fast enough that you won’t notice.

There is a caveat to this: you have to keep that device connected. If you try to disconnect the USB drive, you’ll run into problems loading some apps or playing some local content. If you’re transferring a file, it’s probably best to keep it as external storage.

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

I'm getting more and more confused by this post. Originally it was a whinge about no Marshmallow but now there's post about TVs sattellite etc. Any chance of someone re targetting it. Also is there any way a post can be set up so we can check the succes/failure of the rolll out so us cautious type can guage when to jump, assuming it does happen in March

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

I totally agree with above comment what's with that guy going on and about tuners can that post be moved to a correct thread this thread is about next week's Marshmallow roll out. 

That post stated rollout starts next Wednesday and by the looks of reading that post Sony aims to get all 2015/2016 models fully upto date by March 8th. 

It also stated which iv done several times before instead of just waiting for your TV to pick up the update in your own country just log on and download the KPG firmware fine and download it to a USB stick! 

As long as the file starts with KDL which is for us folk here in the UK or Europe just head to that website were Sony has started to roll out download it let's say it hits Poland or France just install the firmware and change the language.. It won't brick your TV as it's the European version of the software or just wait over the next coming weeks for it to hit your respective country simple!😎 

here is that statement from Sony again so next week could be your country folks I for one can't wait at long bloody last.... 

''Meaning that the TVs will start updating in phases beginning February 22nd and the update is fully deployed on all TVs March 8th. After this, all our Android TVs will run on Android 6.0,” Sony wrote to FlatpanelsHD''

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Its a bit difficult for me at the moment to move certain replies into a new thread, so best ignore those replies - but agree, lets bring this topic back to Marshmallow discussion.

When Marshmallow does roll-out:

• For discussion use this thread
  • If by any chance you do get an issue - please create a new thread.  As you can probably imagine, its difficult to help when a thread is 'free for all'.

Also, I would recommend that you do a factory reset afterwards - starting from a clean slate.  So if you havnt written down your settings, it might be best to do so.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi totally agree with you! 

Funny enough I have a Sony Z5 and the new Android Nugart software has landed here in the UK on EE network so just wantted to post this before I download the software on my phone. 

I always do a factory software reset as it's a hard -reset and it always gets rid of all the old firmware and crap that left behind I'll be doing that on my mobile in a short time. 

Let's see next week who is the lucky county in Europe that's get the update. 

So if anyone can post on this forum were TV Android 6.01 lands first hopefully their servers will not crq crash.. Lol

I'm goona download it at the college were I work here in London I work in IT services and the college here in West London has a Virgin 40GB connection so very fast to my Samsung USB stick it's the best way and fastest saves having to wait for your TV to download it  I only have a basic ADSL connection at home so for me it's worth doing it at work.. Happy days 

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

HOW DO YOU CHECK WHICH VERSION OF ANDROID IS RUNNING ON THE SONY ANDROID TV?

MY SOFTWARE VERSION IN SYSTEM INFO SHOWS:
PKG3.533.0108EUA

HOWEVER I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS ANDROID 5 OR ANDROID 4, ETC???? 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Yes that is Lollipop 5.1.1 we are all on the same version last update was back in November 2016.

New version I believe will be PKG 3.7 I think for Marshmallow as that shows it for the XBR model in the US . It will also state which version you have under the help menu I believe were you have the option to restart the TV .

Hope this helps ....