Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

if you go to Settings - About you can see the Android version. 5.1 for 2015 and 6.0 for 2016 & 2017

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

I'm sorry if it was my post mainly about how bad implementation of Android Lollipop, with hope of the Marshmallow update will be better integrated with the TVs hardware and better Gui, that was off-topic. It led to a short discussion of the use of DVB vs streaming. Sorry about that. 

I can make a new thread and delete my posts from here if it makes anyone happier, no problems! 

Sorry to be OT again. As soon as the Marshmallow update now seems to roll out I guess there might be more topic discussions in here. 

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

So far the current Android software interface is poorly designed, slow, buggy - unreliable and not very customisable. 

What a joke. 

ROKU. APPLE TV4 and Amazon Fire TV are in a completely different league. 

It makes me wonder perhaps Google is strategically more focused on developing Google TV, which was displayed on some TV's at CES2017. 

Worst of all is Sony Support in UK, Which is unacceptably poor. 

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

@Soundizer wrote:
[...]

Worst of all is Sony Support in UK, Which is unacceptably poor. 

Not only UK.

But I have a feeling that regional offices in Europe have very little to say when it comes to global stuff like firmware development. Moreover, Sony uses external technicians, which are maybe good when it comes to electronic and replacing parts, but some more complex problems like HDMI ARC, unexplainable reboots, various network issues - they mostly have no clue.

Anyway - I have high hopes for Android 6. I don't know if it will be better, but for sure it will be different.

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

Well, before th excitement of Marshmallow gets me giddy..

When I put marshmallow on my phone and opted for combining the SSD with the memory the SSD was formatted strangely and everything on it encrypted so you couldn't move it to another phone. Thats OK by me but unfortunately my hard drive on the Bravia has lots of recordings that I eithor want to save or haven't watched yet, I've been too busy looking at this forum.

Assuming that the hard drive is about to be rejigged anyone know a way to get the stuff off the hard drive and view it somehow. A search says you can't export it but perhaps you clever chaps know different.

Cheers

PS Thanks to vispen74  for his exlanation about the accidental hijack.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

The only really good will be the memory handling. Nothing else. All rest will be the same.

Most apps issues are related to memory and processor proper handling, something that is missing from 5.1.1

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Will_cain""anyone know a way to get the stuff off the hard drive and view it somehow"

well, impossible other then on the TV the recording was made. But...... linux system can recognize drives formatted on the TV so what you can do is plug the drive into the linux machine and copy those files on another drive. Then format your drive again on the TV to be the storage also and try plugging it to the same linux PC and see if you can transfer those recording files back if the disk is recognized. Since I obviously don't have MM yet I can't confirm that, but I can confirm the first part, you can transfer recordings on another drive which is formatted on the same TV.

SuneKuntz

I got home from work and saw this icon on my TV: 
Android 6.dissapointment

I got really excited, but when I tried to click the icon, the web browser just opens and never loads the page (sony.net/androidtv-update/). When trying to search for an update in the settings, the TV tells me that I'm running the latest version of Android. 
For a moment there, I thought the update was live. What a disappointment...
I live in Denmark, if anyone would like to know...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SuneKuntz

This has already been flagged with Sony - They are urgently looking into this - think someone has jumped the gun on Sony side whilst they are still prepping systems for D-Day.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Ntangler
Explorer

It loaded:

IMG_0513.PNG