Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
Waspsoton
Explorer

Can u put a link to the firmware as I can't find it 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

OK, this is nothing. But..... how is it possible to get new icon if there was no update at all? I have that hidden anyway but at some point after I was already on latest 3.533 for ~2 months, Amazon video became available here and I instantly had it as an app. Do they have all the apps (apks) somewhere already? Because I can also see youview under running apps but that is definitely useless outside of UK and there's no icon like it was on a friends set in Bristol. So if they do keep all apks somewhere, it means that SONY can do stuff without users acceptance.

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

the update is NOT available today, it will become available on the 22nd

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@kinggo01

The real problem with YouView and YVServiceHost is that they are running apps and that they cannot be stopped for people outside UK. I have already contacted Sony and YouView company but they believe that I caused this which is not true. My TV was bought new from a shop in my region and was first time power-ON in my region. And it is a KD-55X8508C which I think is sold mainly in EU and not UK.

About the new self installed apps, I believe that the cause is the Google Play Store. They install whatever they want through there, which is ILLEGAL.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

DSC_0254.JPGWell got home tonight from work at noticed this statement on my TV so it's for real folks Sony are not bluffing!! FLATPANNEL website were right. 

At long bloody last. Lollipop to be honest just not good enough OS and very bad memory management and to be honest as lollipop is just dreadful at managing all the apps that's what caused all the lags resets and so on in opinion. 

Sony have had more than enough time to test out the new software it should be rock solid hopefully and because marshmallow has far superior memory management the TV performance should be alot better at least. 

Marshmallow on my Xperia Z5 was solid hardly ever crashed and as this is based on the same software I expect the same. 

I've just had a software update for my Xperia Z5 to Marshmallow 7.11 yesterday and I love Nugart it's great performance. 

So hopefully this Marshmallow roll out proves to be great fingers crossed maybe we 2015 models could have Nugart end of this year or early next year.. But one step at a time. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

It's Nougat, by the way, not Nugart,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@Marcd51

"At long bloody last. Lollipop to be honest just not good enough OS and very bad memory management and to be honest as lollipop is just dreadful at managing all the apps that's what caused all the lags resets and so on in opinion. 

Sony have had more than enough time to test out the new software it should be rock solid hopefully and because marshmallow has far superior memory management the TV performance should be alot better at least. 

Marshmallow on my Xperia Z5 was solid hardly ever crashed and as this is based on the same software I expect the same. "

There is nothing wrong with Android 5.1.1 apart from Sony's abysmal implementation of it and the Sony bloatware that's packaged with it.

Sorry to have to break it to you, but Android 6.0.1 isn't a marked differerence performance or memory wise compared to 5.1.1 to be honest.  The main features of Android 6.0.1 like "Doze" aren''t even applicable to the TV's anyway.

I'm personally looking forward to the far lower audio latencies in Android 6 assuming Sony have actually implemented this correctly.

Also, saying that your Z5's ( 2Ghz Octacore + 3GB RAM ) Android 6 performance was great and super stable isn't really likely to translate to the dual core + 1.5GB RAM inside your TV.  I really would like to be wrong though.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

well.. We shall see..well shall see proof will be in the pudding.

Lollipop was okay and ran ''okay'' on my Z5 and previous Samsung S5 but lollipop did not get the best performance out of both mobiles. Marshmallow was a much better implemented OS for mobiles and I lime to think for Android TV. As in general memory management was taken care alot better in marshmallow than lollipop. 

Lollipop was just a better Kitkat running Art runtime and 64bit OS to my knowledge. Like with each update Andriod get slicker smoother and much snappier in preformance with far less bugs. 

I for one will be looking forward to external storage of apps and far less lag. Sony has had plenty of time now to iron out a shed load of bugs so we realy should expect a quicker smoother and snappier prefirmance between apps and general use of the TV. marshmallow is a much more full bodied system and very stable and should be able to handle working with less memory I presume and hope that Both Song and goggle have made the correct modifications to work on these TV's by now... 

Fingers crossed for all of us 

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I've turned off automatic updates. I'll check to see if this update actually functions properly in a few weeks. My suspicion is it will be a mess. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It makes me wonder perhaps Google is strategically more focused on developing Google TV, which was displayed on some TV's at CES2017. 

Puuuh, seems like you haven't realized yet that Google TV is dead meat and that Android TV is the successor. There was for sure nobody showing Google TV products at CES2017.