Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
Holiergrail
Explorer

I updated the Marshmallow with USB method and everything seemed ok. Now when TV boots up I can see first the Sony logo. Then after that there is a colorful animation and after about 40s TV reboots itself again. This endless loop just keeps going on and on. So the boot never reaches the point when animation turns to a text ANDROID.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@chrisc383

I'm on about that SPMC uses hack which is quite dangerous and does not work for everyone and it is very unreliable in many cases. I also can get that to work but it will stop just like that at some point and then blow my ears and speakers with terrible noise.

KODI does not use that anymore, they just support proper API and in our case that still means nothing since DTS passthrough does not work in a regular way with any app other then SONY default Video.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Holiergrail wrote:

I updated the Marshmallow with USB method and everything seemed ok. Now when TV boots up I can see first the Sony logo. Then after that there is a colorful animation and after about 40s TV reboots itself again. This endless loop just keeps going on and on. So the boot never reaches the point when animation turns to a text ANDROID.

@Holiergrail - i have sent you a PM with some instructions - Please let me know if it works.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@sirteukand @Holiergrail

Give a try to this suggestion from U.S. esupport page:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73159/

Try many times to access Help page and repeat many times the button combination on remote control

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Concerning Audio Passthrough...

Kodi 16 Jarvis (PCM Hack):

AC3 and DTS Passthrough working

Kodi 17 Krypton (RAW):

AC3 working (up to full 640kbps), DTS NOT working

SPMC:

IEC (PCM Hack): AC3 and DTS Passthrough working

RAW: AC3 working (up to full 640kbps), DTS NOT working

PCM Hack can be dangerous for audio hardware and your ears. As soon as anybody (app, audio mixer) alters the PCM pipeline, audio effectively gets garbled...

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

I just finished adjusting many settings after a factory reset. Took me 45minutes. What extremely poor implementation from Sony that we have to do this due to problems if we do not. Complete headache. 

Yet to see any speed improvements and currently seems slower. 

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Will factory reset also remove my installed apps? 

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

What a STUPID TV. Last time i buy Sony. 

A damm FCTORY RESET after firmware update. 

Imagine we had to set a mobile phone every time a new OS is released. No one would accept it. 

Yet people at Sony and some on this Forum are so casual about this MASSIVE EXTRA STEP. 

Crap. 

profile.country.GB.title
Soundizer
Explorer

On the positive side atleast we do not have to repack the TV and then unbox it after a firmware update. 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor