Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Don't worry, I'm sure Sony will get on with forum updates right after all programmers will finish updating Android to current levels.

Interestingly, Lenovo uses the same Lithium forum system which IS mobile friendly. Maybe TV guys don't talk with Sony phone guys.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

Sony is aware that there is a need for a more mobile/tablet friendly forum - plans have been put in motion for quite sometime now to improve the forum for a more responsive mobile friendly design.  This will be implemented later on in the year as well as other improvements.

Cheers

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

I think that today's TVs are so left behind from what many people wants. I
want a really good working Android TV with a good screen, not the other way
around if you understand what I mean. The makers of TV only puts Energy on
the screen part and less for the software. And they also put a lot of
energy on inbuilt old-school TV-signal recivers for old coax-cables. Who
are using this today? There is definitely room for a new, less conservative
player on the TV market.
profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

@vispen74

Hi.

Please don't speak for the rest of us :). Belive it or not, some of us still use the "old-school" TV-Signal recivers, aka DVB-C and DVB-T for the TVs primarly source input(beside home MM-Server).
One of the shortcomings of my KDL-50W809C Tv is that it doesn't have twin tunner, just a single one.

Not all countries in the world have Streaming Services (official).

There are displays from LG without Tuner(my company bought some UHD ~86" Displays), pair it with a Shield TV, and U have what U want.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The TV integration actually is one of the worst parts in Sonys, see here.

Seems like the Marshmallow update is finally happening, see here... maybe...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprised this has been leaked !!

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

@Kuschelmonschter I never mentioned that I'm satisfied how Sony integrated the DVB function in its Android TV lineup. I hate the change beetwen live TV and the Guide, hate that there is no time shift and sorting channels is a pain in the *ss. And on the top of that record scheduling records with a wrong proglam title, if I start recording it will not stop automaticaly at the end of the program, Guide sometimes randomly shows "no information is avilable" until I select the channel.

In Hungary there is no Guide for SideView although it was in the commercials so.

I just hate the fact that for the half price of my unit an LG can do all of that.

I stick with my unit just because of AndroidTV and Archos Video player...

Just stated that some (quite a lot of) people buy tvs because of the TV function :slight_smile:

Hmm, it will be an interesting next week if the rumors turn out to be true.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

hmmmmm........... I never managed to use Archos player. Everything is fine until I actually try to play video. In the begining it was stuttering and in latest version vido runs at some crazy speed, like 3x the normal.

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

@kinggo01 Interesting.

What is your TV type? On my 50W809C it was the best Media Software what I could find.

It's easy to use, looks nice, downloads Subtitles automaticaly, I can easily switch subtitles audio language during playback, nice dealy function for audio and subtitles, and the most important functions were the automatic catalogisation and online tracking of watched videos(because of factory resets by Sony TV).

I have a 3TB network Storage with films and Series. Archos on my tv and Tablet indexes all of them.

What I dont't know if the 5.1 works with external Speaker System, because I don't own any.

This is the only Android software that I paid for :slight_smile:

Have you tried to install and activate the "All codecs for Archos Video" third-party plugin for Archos? It solved all the problems on both devices for me.

jack32467

@Anonymous 

Was that the date you heard? is this the UK update as well?