Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83

Marshmallow has been available to select models in the U.S. since December already. So we probably have to wait for Nougat in Europe a little while.

and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Could be. Nougat introduces an alternative passthrough API via ENCODING_IEC61937 API which Kodi can make use of. But we don't know whether MediaTek drivers implement it as they also failed to implement support for ENCODING_DTS.

Worst case would be that the update completely breaks passthrough audio for Kodi because it will most probably use the new API with Nougat. But if the drivers can't do it...

We'll have to wait and see...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Turning this thread into the main discussion thread of Android 7.0 (Nougat) - to hopefully prevent many similar topics being created.  I have changed the thread title to reflect this - nothing else has been changed.

Cheers

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Hello guys,

I'm replying, because I want to follow this thread, too.

I realy hope that the first gen. Android TVs will also get the Nougat. Like the W8xxC series.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@djmickey83 wrote:

Hello guys,

I'm replying, because I want to follow this thread, too.

I realy hope that the first gen. Android TVs will also get the Nougat. Like the W8xxC series.

Thats the plan djmickey83 - all Android TVs will receive the Nougat update.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi All

Turning this thread into the main discussion thread of Android 7.0 (Nougat) - to hopefully prevent many similar topics being created.  I have changed the thread title to reflect this - nothing else has been changed.

Cheers

Start a "Sony got it wrong again" thread  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Crappy mediatek drivers are one of the biggest reasons why Android sucks on Sony right now. I also hope it stops the friggin xxx app has stopped working, random reboots and horrendous Amazon 4K and lip sync!

Eisoniq
New

That's awesome, does that mean that all tv's will get HLG as well?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Please note, SonyUK/EU has not release any timetable or details of this update.  Other than Sony's CES announcement, everything is speculation at this point.

CES announcement write-up by FlatpanelsHD: HERE

Please also note that any annoucement that is based in another country (i.e. the USA) does not necessary mean the UK or EU.  I am referring to this article on AndroidPolice HERE, which some of you may have read.

Cheers

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Hi,

it looks like the X800D is getting the Nougat update in USA:

Nougat update on Sony Android TVs