Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
nbrezovec
Explorer

I got Kodi to output 5.1 via optical by doing the following steps, which seem counter-intuitive...

Set the following settings:
Set "number of channels" to 2.0.
"Output configuration" to optimised.
"Enable Passthrough" on
"AC3 capable receiver" on
" – Enable Dolby Digital transcoding" on
"DTS capable receiver" on

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

@swissfraser wrote:

I got Kodi to output 5.1 via optical by doing the following steps, which seem counter-intuitive...

"Enable Passthrough" on

Yes that kind of works, but it transcodes audio, which I wanted to avoid.

nbrezovec
Explorer

@diodorus wrote:

@swissfraser wrote:

"Enable Passthrough" on

Yes that kind of works, but it transcodes audio, which I wanted to avoid.

For that reason, install that *****y version because it works
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Bringing this thread back on-topic:

For those that have updated to Android 7.0 (Nougat) - I would be interested to hear your thoughts:

• What do you like
  • What dont you like
  • Any issues in installing
  • Any issues in the performance of the TV
  • Any bugs/issues at all?

Cheers

Ok, so I did "some" testing. Here are my initial feelings!

• I love the new smaller settings, although some video apps still exit when opeing them. I like the history multiwindow, I used it already few times, and I like the voice recognition in Opera (finally! Actually).
  • I tried the Picture in Picture (it worked from the HDMI/PS4, putting it in a small window), but then opening YouTube it stopped, so I am not really sure what's the use for it
  • No issues installing it (from USB) at all. Straight and simple
  • It does feel a bit snappier, but it is also true that I had to reset to factory settings (see below), so less apps are running in background

BUGS & ISSUES: this deserves a section by itself!! 

• The USB is stil a mess. Maybe even worse than before. After upgrading my old HDD was still in Read-Only. And it was also causing instability. So I reset to factore settings. It now managed to format my Lexar 64GB USB pen (6.0.1 didn't) but taking a very long time. It worked for a couple of hours and then while copying a file into the new internal /sdcard it went into Read-Only mode again!!! Same with my old HDD. I gave up and removed the external device.
  • Related to the one above, Settings simply crashes  when the additional internal memory goes banana.
  • Using an app that enables a VPN (AdGuard in my case) after putting the tv in standby the tv rebooted when switching it on. Like before but this time it took few seconds before rebooting
  • Still no HDR in YouTube!!!!! 

I wanted to be happy, really. I like those new features but i can't stand the fact that we are still dealing with bugs from old releases. Especially the USB one is unbelievable! Do they at Sony/Mediatek actually care about the bugs you guys report?!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

As expected. A major Android update does not fix the Sony/MediaTek bugs. We saw it with Marshmallow, now happening again with Nougat. Things actually get worse because of the flaky driver adaptations of new APIs and missing QA over at Sony/MediaTek.

I completely lost all my faith that those issues will ever get adressed.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It is a shame. I really don't understand how Sony lets Mediatek go with the USB issue. It is a vital feature for me, 8GB free are nothing, especially in a television. There are few RPGs I'd like to play and the only way is to delete them to free space for the new ones. Oh, and the USB SD Card (obviously..) is still not writeable.

Then what about the HDR in YouTube?!? Sony promised that it would have been available!!Unless I am watching the wrong videos, but I don't think so. They clearly say HDR in the description (but it is also true that some say 4K/HDR and they play at 1080p. What a mess). HLG is there at least, although I still have to find a video making use of it (not that I looked much for it).

Oh, another interesting feature is that when doing a voice search from home, now it puts a link to Opera as well. Still it is very basic compared to mobile phones. But better than the nothing of before, I suppose..

Grga84
Explorer

Hi. I cant get to work kodi using arc passthrough on my 55xd7005 since update. Reciever is Pioneer.

Any toughts??

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Quinnicus wrote:

For those that have updated to Android 7.0 (Nougat) - I would be interested to hear your thoughts:

• What do you like?

Changes would be unnoticeable were I not aware of them.  Just the ones Sony announces.

Otherwise, GUI is exactly the same.

• What dont you like?

Not much of an improvement. 

• Any issues in installing?

None whatsoever. Installed from USB. Installation preserved all my settings and programs, including a bunch of sideloaded apps on SD Card (effectively on USB stick).

• Any issues in the performance of the TV?

Seems the same as Android 6 to me.

• Any bugs/issues at all?

None on my side (have no experience outputting 5.1 sound). Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Gamepad working fine.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Jecht_Sin wrote:
BUGS & ISSUES: this deserves a section by itself!! 
The USB is stil a mess. Maybe even worse than before. After upgrading my old HDD was still in Read-Only. And it was also causing instability. So I reset to factore settings. It now managed to format my Lexar 64GB USB pen (6.0.1 didn't) but taking a very long time. It worked for a couple of hours and then while copying a file into the new internal /sdcard it went into Read-Only mode again!!! Same with my old HDD. I gave up and removed the external device

What Lexar model are you using? 

I had a lot of issues with JumpDrive S25 USB 3.0.

Part of the problem seems to be the plastic used on the tip/connector and the protruding slide button. While placing the pen on Port 3, an additional USB device plugged on port 2 would press against the pen and produce a bad contact.

Also, I found that although the TV proclaimed the format had failed, If I let it sit for a good while, somehow the pen would proceed formatting and in the end (say 30 minutes later) conclude with success (being recognized upon TV reboot).

Anyhow, for me it was impossible to use the Lexar on Port 3. I have since changed to a Samsung and it works fine.