Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

On 2017? To say it is "unlikely" is an understatement. Android 7 came on May 31 2017 for the ATv2 Bravia (end 2016 and 2017 models). I'd say we can expect Oreo for around that month in 2018 for the 2018 Bravia models. With the other TVs (the ones we have now) to follow. The ATV1 televisions (early 2016 and before) still have to receive Android 7.0.

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Jecht_Sin,

Would I likely be right in thinking this 'Android 8 Oreo' OS, for Android TV's, mentioned previously, is the same 'Android O' I saw mentioned on a ('published in May 2017') Youtube video last week?

I have only had my Sony Bravia

KD-43XE8396 Android TV a few weeks, & I thought it already had Android 7 Nougat (mine is sloooow & very buggy 😟 - it has software version 'PKG6.2602.0065EUA'). Is this TV still on Android 6??

There is another update available, but I am reluctant to use that in case it makes the situation worse.

Thanks

First_Knight

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

KD-43XE8396 Android TV a few weeks, & I thought it already had Android 7 Nougat (mine is sloooow & very buggy 😟 - it has software version 'PKG6.2602.0065EUA'). Is this TV still on Android 6??

It is Android 7 Nougat, as I wrote on the other thread.

As for Android 8 Oreo, pretty much everything has been said by @Jecht_Sin. Sony typically announces news regarding the next Android generation at CES in January. If they provide any time schedule, just ignore that part. Sony is typically many months late with software.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@First_Knight wrote:

it has software version 'PKG6.2602.0065EUA'). Is this TV still on Android 6??

As @Kuschelmonschter said.

There is another update available, but I am reluctant to use that in case it makes the situation worse.

Just go for it. It's a very minor update but it does fix a couple of things. Mostly the volume bar crashing and maybe the IR reception from the remote. Just remember to enable Samba TV (the app, not the service) in case you disabled it. If you don;t understand what I am talking about that means you left it enabled already. 

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi

Thanks for that. The minor update did 'sort out' the intermittent 'no volume bar displayed' and some other things, as well as added other stuff in the 'help section'. Unfortunately I updated to '2671' without knowing that a 'currently disabled' samba app would cause other 'errors' (see other post) that I have now sorted out by 're-enabling' the app, but then going back to somewhere in 'set up' to select 'disagree & disable'.

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
3l3ctronica
Explorer

Hi everyone,

i came across this thread via a Goggle search and thought I’d pass on this article I also came across, which confirms that Oreo Android 8 will be coming to 2017/18 TV’s along with some 2016 Models - it is from Sony themselves, who attended a tech show in Australia. 

I thought people would be rather pleased to know they’ve not been forgotten about. 

https://www.avforums.com/threads/android-oreo-confirmed-for-2018-2017-and-some-2016-tv’s.2175894/

profile.country.NL.title
Hen_Solo

don't know if it's real but it seems they're creating user manuals:

https://www.sonylatvija.com/electronics/support/articles/00201152

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Definately looks real...how did you find that ona a specific model support page or?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I thought people would be rather pleased to know they’ve not been forgotten about. 

It is not a secret anymore that Sony will update their ATV2 (MediaTek MT5891) based products to Android TV Oreo which includes all models since mid-2016. They won't update ATV1 (MediaTek MT5890) based products like the XD93 from early 2016.

Philips on the other hand will also update their older MediaTek MT5890 based Android TVs.