Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony US is now also providing the FW file download, see here. Beware that this does not work for European models.

Changelog:

• Improves the Home screen menu for better usability
  • Improves the keyboard design
  • Improves the Search function using Google Assistant
  • Resolves a picture quality issues in Netflix Dolby Vision content
  • Resolves a DTV 1080i flashing issue
  • Resolves a condition where there is no sound at times when playing the UHD BD movie “Dunkirk”
  • Resolves a condition where the TV switches from Standby to Semi Standby periodically and switches on any connected AV Receiver via HDMI CEC without reason

Based on experience with previous major Android updates on BRAVIA, it might still take several weeks until it will arrive in Europe.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

I was just reading this on reddit...based on comments of US users they're pretty happy with update preformance wise and visual change is very welcome!

Fingers crossed for EU models soon!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

From a security point of view, the Oreo firmware is still a total disaster. Sony still uses the old 3.10 kernel with patch level .79 from 2015. Just check out the CVE reports that have been filed since then. Google actually mandates kernel version 3.18 for existing devices which get updated to Oreo. Dunno how those Android TVs get through certification. Android TV is just a total mess, even more so compared to mobile Android. I assume that Google had to relax requirements as otherwise hardly any device would get the Oreo update.

Oreo firmware for ATV2 also does not support Project Treble. MediaTek MT5891 celebrates its 3rd birthday. So one can expect support to be dropped soon.

Just look over to Amlogic. Oreo firmware for their fairly old S905X SoC from 2016 received a 4.9 kernel with drivers having been made ready for Project Treble.

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

I dont see the XD93 included in that firmware, is there an update on the way for that as well?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

XD93 won‘t receive Oreo.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Most severe issues reported by several people on reddit so far:

• Alexa setup app missing
  • no 4K video playback via stock Video app
  • no multi-channel (passthrough) audio with stock Video app (and some others)
profile.country.GB.title
4Ksony
Explorer

I am experiencing it now after just updating to 8.0,  stock video app has issues playing 4K content (audio won't play) or just doesn't play video altogether. 

I hope Sony gets an update from android for the stock video app, really sucks if you cannot play 4K (.mkv) or other video files from an external source. Playback was excellent prior to the update and connected through a receiver with no issues with audio or video playback through the TV.

Netflix was a bit buggy trying to load right after the update and seems to be better now.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Most severe issues reported by several people on reddit so far:

• Alexa setup app missing
  • no 4K video playback via stock Video app
  • no multi-channel (passthrough) audio with stock Video app (and some others)

Deal breakers for me, made sure I have disabled the auto-update feature, I will stick with Android 7.

profile.country.GB.title
3l3ctronica
Explorer

Thank you to all of those that have report issues with the Oreo 8.0 update, and in particular the issues with the native Video app. I won’t be updating my TV when the firmware upgrade hits the EU Servers.

Regards,
Michael

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Those issues are reported just by few people...go ahed and look at forums and even YouTube videos people don't have any of mentioned issues they're very satisfied with this update...

And if they do happen I'm sure factory reset after update will sort things out anyway...