Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Many people only use streaming apps which do seem to work fine. With respect to file players, 4K and multi-channel audio playback issues seem to affect quite some people. Seems like also other apps like MX Player and VLC are affected. I am reading on the BRAVIA subreddit BTW.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Well I hope factory reset will do the trick...I myself am a file player as you mentioned never stream anything...

And if bugs won't get fixed by factory reset I'm sure they'll bring quick fix update by new year...

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Let us know if a factory reset fixes it please.

profile.country.GB.title
4Ksony
Explorer

LOL...good luck! :grin:

My only comment is I hope Sony has an update to fix the native video app for Android. 100% it broke the 900E TV player and it was a popular model, so I am sure anyone updating to 8.0 are not a happy camper....I don't care what the last guy is preaching about or definitely a troll about installing and no issues!! Install and you will know what I mean...just hoping there is an update to fix soon. I have had the TV from December last year, so hopefully, another update soon will fix the broken android video player (superior to VLC or other after trying), that's all I can say!

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

How do you know wahat it broke when youre from UK and EU firmware isn't out yet?Or you're just doing copy-paste all complaints from US dudes?

profile.country.GB.title
4Ksony
Explorer

I am actually Canada (just changed it)..the location put UK by default after signing up to this forum :slight_smile:  I have the same update as US, maybe harsh my last reply. Anyway, hopefully they get an update for the native Video app...have to hold off watching 4K downloads until Sony fixes the issue with the next update (hopefully soonish).

I will probably factory reset my TV and start out fresh, I do like the new interface or simplified/customizable (totally changed after 8.0 update) with Netflix and YouTube previews. Haven't read the US forums, I can imagine people with 900E regret updating if they watch true 1080p or 4K content connected to the TV. Restarting seems to kind of fix, but certain files won't play audio with video and some 4K content does not play at all.

profile.country.GB.title
4Ksony
Explorer

Clarification...picture quality and the Sony menu is better. The main issue is USB attached storage is not stable or it has trouble scanning the external drive, I think that relates to HD media sometimes playing and other times it does nothing. VLC and other media players work but inferior (not smooth with 4K content) compared to the native Video player from the Sony menu.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

I'm 99,9% sure it'll be fixed in first bug fix update to Oreo...btw it's good to hear that picture quality and menu responsiveness is better though...

KDT_US
Explorer

Just bought XBR-65A8F OLED TV. Right now it has Android 7 as latest version. Will this be updated to Android 8 soon? I assume it should be since this is one of their 2018 models. Thanks....

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@KDT_US wrote:

Just bought XBR-65A8F OLED TV. Right now it has Android 7 as latest version. Will this be updated to Android 8 soon? I assume it should be since this is one of their 2018 models. Thanks....

Ofcourse it will but after 2017 models I think...