Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Well that is good news. But does it actually work? Can you see the UHD iPlayer / iPlayer beta streams?

profile.country.GB.title
JannEejit
Explorer

Not on my set, still just regular iPlayer.
profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

no 4k content displayed for me #NotEvenShocked.....

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

the firmwareauto updated on my 65xe9305 i havent tested the iplayer app but not holding my breath.

forthoseof you   who have updated  but arnt seeing  it have you  checked that your model ison the supported list ?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xd83xx_x83xxd-series/kd-43xd8305/download...

profile.country.GB.title
JannEejit
Explorer

Yes my model (KD55XE8396) is on the firmware release list but I understood
from earlier in this thread that the issue was hardware orientated ? No ?
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

not as far as I am aware I think itsdown to the  iplayer app itself which is why  when i first started this   thread after contacting  Sony  They had told me to contact  the bbc as its the beebs app. itsalso why  when using the  iplayer  apps on other  devices like the roku's and virgin v6 box work  fine with our tv's. the only caviat  to  this is that  I couldnt get it  using my v6  till i pluggedthe  V6 box ito  one of the faster hdmi  ports on my tv which suggests that the app  checks the port speed prior to making the content available.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@romipat wrote:

not as far as I am aware I think itsdown to the  iplayer app itself which is why  when i first started this   thread after contacting  Sony  They had told me to contact  the bbc as its the beebs app. itsalso why  when using the  iplayer  apps on other  devices like the roku's and virgin v6 box work  fine with our tv's. the only caviat  to  this is that  I couldnt get it  using my v6  till i pluggedthe  V6 box ito  one of the faster hdmi  ports on my tv which suggests that the app  checks the port speed prior to making the content available.

Until I see something working on my XE in iPlayer again at 4K I won't believe its fixed. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@stormyuk wrote:

@romipat wrote:

Until I see something working on my XE in iPlayer again at 4K I won't believe its fixed. :slight_smile:

yea I know wha t you mean especcially where Sony are concerned. i  tried to test it yesterday  but  theredoesnt appear to beany4k uhd cotent on there at the  moment I was expecting to see the blue plannet or fa cup 4kuhd  loop which  used to bo  on there but nothing. During the world cup when  you launced  the  iplayer app on  compatible devices it automatically displayed the wold cup  splash screen. So no idea  howwecan test it without having t owait for tier next 4k coverage when we might seea splashcreen for that content. ah just had a  thought  ill test it on my v6 box when i  get a chance and see if their is a uhd loop on that if there is and its not showing on the sony then safe to saythat its  not fixed

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Does anyone know if an update for the XD93 is imminent? It says update for 2016 Android TV's but no XD93 it seems

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

XD93 is based on the 2015 ATV1 platform. Support seems to be ceasing. ATV1 is not on the Oreo update list.