Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
redoxide
Explorer

It's on ITV so no UHD stream
profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Now why didn't I think of that :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

World cup was aired on ITV, so I guess that is why.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I updated my HDMI cables today on my kd65xe9005 to certified hdmi 2.0b ones ( which most articles say is not necessary).

Wimbledon tennis  on Sky Q, BBC today, offers the UHD option. Very good.

Not had that before. So I presume it's because my cables now carry enough bandwidth.

Not tried the BBC iPlayer live, to see if that offers HDR, but will do later.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

No, iPlayer still not offering UHD even though Sky Q does.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@miscofi wrote:

I updated my HDMI cables today on my kd65xe9005 to certified hdmi 2.0b ones ( which most articles say is not necessary).

Wimbledon tennis  on Sky Q, BBC today, offers the UHD option. Very good.

Not had that before. So I presume it's because my cables now carry enough bandwidth.

Not tried the BBC iPlayer live, to see if that offers HDR, but will do later.

not sure if your model has only certain hdmi  sockets which work at a faster speed but  on my  xe9305 only hdmi 2 and  3  have a higher  HZ ' speed' and i wasnt getting offered the  hdr content  via iplayer until  i  plugged my  v6 box into hdmi 2( faster port) so wondering if yours is similar and that it  wasnt your cable chang ewhich got it   work but thefact that you might have changed  the  hdmi input to a faster port too ? just a thought

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Any news on 4k for the ex9005 sets?

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

@mobilyuk wrote:

Any news on 4k for the ex9005 sets?

Not heard a dickie bird from Sony, so now I am running a firmware that they released and then withdrew, obviously because it has problems. I think I will get onto Sony support soon. Very poor service really. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh the firmware which was removed also has not been re-released. Its gone very quiet.

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

The FW has finally been released at long last! About blasted time!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xd83xx_x83xxd-series/kd-43xd8305/download...

Great at work Sony... you only missed the FIFA World Cup 2018 as well as Wimbledon! 🙄