Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Geedouble

Stupid question but how does one know if it’s showing in uhd or hdr ?

profile.country.GB.title
Fontmeister

It shows UHD in the title, so in this case UHD Dynasties and UHD is also by the timer, as for HDR if it doesn't show HDR in your TV's picture menu then it's not HDR.

profile.country.GB.title
Geedouble

Thanks .On my xe9005 while watching dynasties on iplayer app if I look at picture menu it says “hdmi2 - HDR” if I play the Grand tour on amazon app and Look at the picture menu it says “apps - HDR”...... Wierd . 

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

If it says HDMI2 - HDR then you're watching it on an external box or Chromecast or something.

On the TV iPlayer app, it's in UHD but not HDR.  It does however look great!

To close iPlayer, just keeping pressing Back until it asks you if you want to exit iPlayer.

profile.country.GB.title
Geedouble

“If it says HDMI2 - HDR then you're watching it on an external box or Chromecast or something

nah watching on the built in app . My sky box is connected to hdmi 2 and it’s off at the moment so like I said a bit wierd . Maybe that’s how Sony have fixed it to trick tv to thinking iplayer is from a external source ?

Anyway it it all looks good all episodes are on until early January according to iplayer.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@JannEejit wrote:
I see it on my KD-55XE8396 (2017) as well. There's also a UHD test loop
located within the settings menu showing a BBC football match (West Brom v
Southampton). Seems to be playing OK other than I could not stop
'Dynasties' playing and could only exit i-player by pressing the home
button on the remote control. A huge leap forward though and a great way to
celebrate the end of my 12 months payment plan.

interesating on my 65XE9305    iplayer app I  dont see the fotball loop  i get a bllue planet one andtrested  dynasties  too the picture menue doesnt  flag  HDR   but the PQ is stunningon both the blue  planet  test feed and dynasties too.  pretty sure its HDR even  though  its not   flagging it up as hdr in the picture menu.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

well Im pretty sure the last  firmware update suggested that the  iplayer app had been updated to  allow usto  watch the BBC 4k HDR content yet I've just checket the compatible tv list on the bbc website and most including mine are still not listed as compatible

looks like a case of Sony Bs- ing us again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/Sony

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

There still seems to be something odd going on here. I changed my XE9005 for an XF9005 earlier this year and I could finally see iPlayer UHD streams. However, when I watched Dynasties in UHD the other night I was underwhelmed compared with the vividness of the picture when playing Planet Earth II Test loop. It really didn’t look much different to the regular HD broadcast picture. 

So tonight I’ve done a few tests and I’m now confused about what is going on. My picture mode was just set to standard for all tests. And I’m running my Tv’s internal iPlayer beta app. 

When I play the FA Cup UHD test loop, the picture is very sharp and vivid. The iPlayer info bar displays a UHD symbol in the bottom right corner and when I press Action Menu > Picture using the remote, the Picture menu shows an HDR symbol in the top right corner and Brightness is set to Max. 

However, when I select the Dynasties UHD stream from the iPlayer, the iPlayer info bar still displays a UHD symbol at the bottom right. But...when I access the Picture menu as I have done previously, the HDR symbol is not there and the Brightness is only set to 35. Why should this be any different? No other settings have been changed on the TV. 

Switching to the standard iPlayer app and viewing the Planet Earth II test loop again, the picture is very clear and vivid. The iPlayer info bar doesn’t say this is in UHD though it clearly is. And the Picture menu on my TV once again shows HDR with Brightness set to Max. 

So what is going on? Why am I unable to see the HDR stream of Dynasties?

profile.country.GB.title
Geedouble

Yes pb1965  On Monday, both the test loop and Dynasties reported HDR in Action Menu > Picture

Tonight, only the test loop reports HDR.

Im also still seeing HDMI2 when selecting Action Menu > Picture while watching Dynasties from internal iplayer app but from the test loop selecting Action Menu > Picture it says Apps (video) - HDR.

Very flakey.

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

To be fair mine is now perfect. It looks like Sony has finally got there act together in readiness for the 2022 World Cup! (When the BBC will most like then support 8K! #AWKWARD)

If your screen is not displaying a consistent HDR image then you may be have limitations with your broadband.

The BBC website clearly states this:

“You’ll need an internet connection of 24MBit/s for the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD experience or 12MBit/s for 2560 pixel Ultra HD”

So the image quality being pushed through iPlayer is surely going to depend on a strong and consistent connection hitting your TV... To cover all bases make sure your router is connected directly to your TV via Ethernet.