Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer and All4

profile.country.GB.title
sambrowne
New

BBC iPlayer and All4

I'm aware that others have had this problem but I can't seem to resolve mine so grateful for any help anyone can offer! Bought a KD-55XE9005 on Saturday and as above really, can't get iPlayer or All4 to work. Software is up to date, tried factory reset as well. All other streaming stuff (YouTube, Amazon) wotrks just fine. iPlayer loads up but when I try to play a programme I get the 'Something went wrong..' error message. TV is connected to the network via LAN (not wireless).  Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Considering that other streaming apps work fine, which means your TV can access your network and internet.  Try changing the network settings on your TV and add the following two DNS Servers:

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Instructions:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84346/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sambrowne
New

Thanks for the link but the route described doesn't match my TV:

1. Using the supplied remote, press the Home button. Yes.
  2. Select Settings. Yes.
  3. Select Network. Yes.
  4. Select Network Settings/Set-up. Not listed, nearest I have is 'Network setup.'
  5. Select Set-up Network connection. 
  6. Select Custom/Expert. I have Easy or Expert, Expert selected.
  7. Select Wired/Wireless Set-up. In Wireless Setup connect TV to Wireless network by scanning the network or by using WPS function, depending of router. For secured wireless setup, a Network security key needs to be entered before the IP address and Proxy server setting screen is displayed. My setup is through a LAN although I set it up for this process via wireless.
  8. Select Manual IP Address setting. I don't have this option. If I enter the wireless connection for its details the IP settings are DHCP or Static (it's set to Static for now), there is no manual option.
  9. Keep the IP address like is or change the IP address manuallyand enter the DNS by the following Public DNS addresses: 8.8.8.8 for Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary DNS.
  10. Select NO if prompted to use a proxy server.
  11. Select Save and Connect to establish a Network connection.

Any ideas? Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
sambrowne
New

I think someone has altered my post in blue. It's as I've said before I don't have the option of entering DNS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I can confirm that no one has altered your previous post.  It would have the words edited above it. 

If you edited your own post, it would look like this at the top:

Edit01.jpg

If someone else edited your post (if they have the correct permissions), it would look like this:

Edit02.jpg

Ok, onwards to some instructions on how to change the DNS settings on an Android TV.

1. Press the [Home] button on your TV remote control
  2. Scroll down to 'Settings' and press [OK]
  3. Scroll down to 'Network' and press [OK]
  4. Select 'Network Setup' and press [OK]
  5. Select 'Expert' and press [OK]
  6. If using an ethernet/LAN cable, select 'Wired LAN' and press [OK]
  7. Scroll down and select 'Advanced Options' and press [OK]
  8. Scroll down and select 'IP Settings' and press [OK]
  9. Select 'Static' instead of 'DHCP' and press [OK]
  10. Type in an IP address for your TV (i.e. for mine I use 192.168.1.110).  Once done, highlight 'next' and press [OK]
  11. Type in the gateway address (most likely this will be your routers IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.1).  Once done, highlight 'next' and press [OK]
  12. Type in the Network prefix length - most cases this should be 24.  Once done, highlight 'next' and press [OK]
  13. Type in the DNS1 of 8.8.8.8 - Once done, highlight 'next' and press [OK]
  14. Type in the DNS2 of 8.8.4.4 - Once done, highlight 'next' and press [OK]
  15. A message will appear on the screen saying 'Saved Successfully'.
  16. Press the back button on the remote control a few times and you will eventually come back to the HOME screen. 
  17. Test the BBC iPlayer and All4 apps.

If by any chance things go totally pear shaped, redo steps 1 to 9 and instead of choosing 'Static' set it to 'DHCP' - this should revert back to original settings.

Please keep in mind that BBC iPlayer and All4 apps require a UK based IP address.  If you are using a SmartDNS or VPN service this may need to be disabled or set to a UK end node. 

You can test to see if you have a UK based IP address by going to the following website on a computer:  https://www.iplocation.net/

Cheers